What's new

P Mario - Checkerboard fix?

Trek234

Hi all,

I am having an issue with Paper Mario using Project 64 SP1. As you can see from the screen shot, I have this checkerboard effect going on. (this doesn't exist when you are running around in the game world)

I am wondering if there is some way to fix it?

I am using Evoodoo 3.99 with Glide 64 .42.

Other info is: Win XP Pro, Radeon 9700 3.5 cat

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

Clements

I get that too, I doubt that it's fixable. Maybe a future version of eVoodoo/Glide64 will fix it.

Clements

It won't let me upload the state, so just pause the game and press right until you see the map with Glide64 0.42. Compare with Jabo's Plugin that gets it right.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
While looking into this I noticed that both Rice's and Jabo's at least keep that checkerboard to the background so everything you neee is visable.

Also it would seem that both Rice's and Jabo's plugins no longer flicker either. Can someone else confirm this?

RiceDaedalus 5.1.0d
Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.1

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Oh yeah here is a pic of it running with Jabo's 1.5.1 (which BTW I cannot "manage attachments" when editing a post for some reason?)

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Yes, my bad. The flicker has stopped with both plugins from this haunted house I am at in the forest maze. Back at Toad Town though it does still flicker. thanks Clements.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
I get no flicker with Rice's plugin in toadTown. Have you tried setting the plugin's Frame Update to "first CI change"?

Clements

Yes, it's on by default. Also I have disabled skip frame as that makes it flicker throughout.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Yes, it's on by default. Also I have disabled skip frame as that makes it flicker throughout.

I tought the plugin was set default to "CI change", not "first CI change". Weird, I have played, and haven't found a place that flickers so far...

Trek234, did you modify a Radeon 9500 to get a Radeon 9700? checkerboard problems are common if you did

I have the same problem with Glide64+evoodo on a geforce2 mx400. There are other issues, as bad shadows, and missing details in the walls.

Clements

Thanks NeTo. I got confused between the options there. Perhaps Rice can make 'first CI change' the default for Paper Mario and not 'CI change' which causes the flickering.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Also, "first CI change" can be used in other games with "Double Buffer Flip" or "Triple Buffer Flip", to avoid the flickering those buffer settings might cause, and gain luckily some speed increase.

And talking about Paper Mario, here is something interesting: In the game, set Frame Buffer Emu to Copy or Complete. Then open a menu (it will be pretty slow tought) and close it. Set FrameBuffer Emu back to Disable, and open the menu again. Luckily, the menu animation will display correctly throught the rest of gameplay. Other in-game effects appear correctly by doing this.

Last edited: