What's new

Overclock?

Barren Soul

I have a PIII 666Mhz proc with stock cooling, what can it overclock to safely? or if there's no real deffinite answer can someone tell me what factors are involved in judging this or is it just good old fashioned trial and error?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I dunno about the motherboard, but if you can get the FSB to go higher, then you should be able to overclock the processor.

Stezo2k

S-2K
You should be able to get near 800mhz with it, if your motherboard allows changing the FSB speed, good luck

OP
Barren Soul

Barren Soul

???? changed the multiplier with same FBS but nothing inside my OS sees a speed increas (DXdiag, speed fan and msinfo still say 666Mhz -_-')

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Afaik, I've raised the multiplier of an old celeron about 600 mhz. Though not pentium. But again, that was a long time ago.

OP
Barren Soul

Barren Soul

weee new problem, SDRAM is running at 133Mhz but the DDR has decided to up the anty and run at something near or above 150Mhz (the ram stick says 133-333Mhz support) and now the SDRAM dosn't work. is there a way to fix this? I did OC it by changing the FSB to 150

OP
Barren Soul

Barren Soul

well I tried telling the bios to set the DDR at 133 but the SDR still didn't work so for no I've set the FSB back to normal :( anyone know how to fix this? the BIOS had some other options but I don't know what they mean:
SDRAM timing by SPD :(enable/disable)
SDRAM CAS# latency : (2/3) 2: fastest module 3: slowest module
DRAM frequency : (auto/66/100/133)

C2P Concurrency & Master: (enable/disable)

*Edit: Well I don't know where I got the idea it was DDR but both sticks are SDRAM, my bad. one stick is rated at 133Mhz the other is 133-333Mhz.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
If you ask me, you're probably better in the long run to either buy a new pc or upgrade your motherboard and processor, think about it, processors can cost only $50 or £30 (if you're british). motherboards can cost around the same... course you'd probably have to buy DDR ram too if you don't have any.

To sqeeze a few mhz out of your 666mhz (devil clock mhz ;)) seems rather pointless to me, but as they say, you need to overclock your fsb (front side bus), there may be an option for this in the Bios, just a warning though, your system could become unstable if you do this.

Hence why I say its rather pointless :D

Your ram speed won't really affect the speed of the processor, don't mess with that, it won't do you any good.

Good luck anyway!

Last edited:
OP
Barren Soul

Barren Soul

Actualy I did OC it succesfully but the FSB made one of the ram chips 150Mhz while the otherone stayed at 133, so the second one thats still at 133 didn't work becuase of the frequency difference :\