What's new

OpenGL?

Energy

I have been reading alot, and most of the games lags, now im not a coder or anything els, but i was thinking, wouldnt it be much better to run games in openGL instead of direct3D?

mostly it improves alot of fps, but im guessing its not possible yet or?

Fool

Me
I thinked about it before. When I went to my card settings and tried to use OpenGL on dolphin, it crashed. But I think it is good idea to use opengl. Authors! If you can do it please add opengl to graphic plugin. Thanks is advance!

Clements

OpenGL will hardly affect performance here, since the API used is not what is causing the FPS to be low in the first place. ector said he used DX9 since it was more advanced than OpenGL. Here is what he said with regards to OpenGL and Dolphin:

ector said:
Right now OpenGL is less suited than Direct3D for emulating the gamecube graphics (OpenGL has less per-primitive overhead so I would have chosen it instead if the shader language situation wasn't so abysmal). D3D has HLSL which is practically necessary while the standard OpenGL shader language GLSL still doesn't work on nvidia cards and is very early and glitchy, and isn't as well suited. It's not a simple matter of just porting the current plugin to OpenGL.

So there you have it.

Fool said:
I thinked about it before. When I went to my card settings and tried to use OpenGL on dolphin, it crashed. But I think it is good idea to use opengl. Authors! If you can do it please add opengl to graphic plugin. Thanks is advance!

The Dolphin plugin makes use of DirectX 9 and not OpenGL. You can change this with any driver tweak, you'd need to entirely recode the plugin with OpenGL as the API.

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
OpenGL 2 kicks some serious ass. I'm sure that'll be up for consideration in the future. I really hope that the Dolphin team will release plugin specs though so other people can develop them.