What's new

OOT Native Save?

Roflmayonais

Hey,

First, Awesome with this emu, had so much nostalgic about this game!

But it seems i got trouble with the native saves, nothing really happens when i go to the Subscreen menu and bress B (C on keyboard) and save it.

What to do?

Alunalun

The emulator doesn't come up with any message or anything when you do a native save, it quietly creates the file without telling you.
You should simply find that when you load up your OoT ROM and go to the file select menu that your progress is there (PJ64 has automatically loaded the native save file).

OP
R

Roflmayonais

Okay, Im guessing its the file named "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.sra" in the Save folder,
But the size or the "Date modified" doesnt change when i save.

If my hp and ammo etc. get down and i save native, wouldent it then save, or do you have to do a quest or something?

Alunalun

Yes that is the correct file.
I don't know about 'date modified'. In principle I'd expect it to be 'modified' whenever you save, even if you don't do anything on the same (i.e. you load it up, save it straight away and quit as soon as you've done that)
BUT in my experience Windows isn't as accurate with modified dates and creation dates as it should be. I've had files before with a 'date modified' before 'date created', and I seem to remember being baffled by sometimes 'date modified' never being updated no matter how much I modify a file.

So I'm sure that the fact that 'date modified' isn't being updated doesn't mean anything.

The obvious way to check would be to
1) change something in the game e.g. use some ammo, get an item, make some progress
2) make a save state (with F5) as a backup in case something goes wrong
3) make a native save (with the in-game menu)
4) end emulation and close the emulator
5) open up PJ64 again, load the ROM, it automatically loads the native save. Select your file from the in-game file menu. (In fact, if your file is there at all then it means the native save is working right)
6) check to see if the change you made is there. If it isn't, you can load the save state (with F7) to restore your progress.

If your progress is there than no matter what 'date modified' says the native save system is working corectly.

And be aware that save states are usually OK but they are not a long-term reliable system of saving. They can become corrupted or cause crashes, so it's better to use native saves and shut down/re-boot the game between play sessions.

Toasty

Sony battery
The file will (should) be modified whenever you save, and probably even when you just run the game without saving. If changes aren't being committed to the save file then you probably have some sort of problem with not having write permission to the save folder.

Alunalun

Does the THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.sra file being created mean that he has permissions?
I'm sure there's plenty of things that can go wrong with saves and with permissions, I'm slightly baffled though by the way he's not saying the native saves don't work, he seems just not to have tried them.

@OP how have you been playing so far? using save states to save?

OP
R

Roflmayonais

I've been playing normal?
So far i just used the default save state, and F5.
But every time i F5 i also native save, but it doesnt work...
The Project 64 folder in Programs i set it to Everyone have permission to everything, but still aint working

Toasty

Sony battery
If you're on Vista or 7 you might try running PJ64 as administrator and see if it makes a difference.