What's new

Offtopic: Need a rom? Look here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo

Master Sporksman
Well, Nintendo says on their website that it's illegal no matter what, and they link to the IDSA.... well, the IDSA (Surprisingly, I was genuinely shocked) says this:

U.S. Copyright laws permit making a "backup" copy of computer programs for archival purposes. However, the right to make backup copies of computer programs for archival purposes, as embodied in 17 U.S.C. Section 117(2), does not in any way authorize the owner of a copy of a video or computer game to post or download a copy of that game to or from the Internet. Section 117(2) only gives the owner of the copy a right to make an archival copy of the actual copy that he/she legally possesses, not to make a copy of the ROM that someone else legally possesses, nor to post an archival copy of his/her original copy for distribution. Also, there is not an unfettered right to sell "backup" copies. In fact, Section 117 is quite explicit in stating that any archival copy prepared under Section 117(2) can only be transferred to another person if, and only if: A) The original copy is also transferred, and only with the authorization of the copyright owner, and B) The transfer is part of the sale of all rights in the program

So there, it's in plain black an white, ROM's you make of your own games are legal as long as you own those games. :n64:

(Edit: I can't get anything right, forgot the link: http://www.idsa.com/faq.html )

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Still, the copyright is LAW. Look on a film you bought, on the backside. It says "any backups (or copies) of this film, even for personal purpose, is illegal." Yes, illegal. And since they have copyright...? Yet, the law states else, so i think i'd avoid to do this.

Illegal and legal. Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.