What's new

Official word on Project64's future

Martin

Administrator
Project64 author zilmar has just posted a thread regarding <a href=http://www.pj64.net>Project64's</a> future in <a href=http://www.emutalk.net/project64/29570-project64-s-future.html>this thread</a>:

<font class=post_quote>As you might know the Project64 team mostly have busy lives these days. Improvements, fixes and new features still get added to PJ64 behind closed doors. We've always tended not to talk about what's going on, it probably seems like PJ64 happens only every few years, but really its more like a continuous process; sped up around releases and at many other times with no public sign. We always try to maintain a high quality complete release, so even if a nice feature is added it will not be public until everything else is complete. You've probably noticed public PJ64 releases are irregular, and they are difficult due to a natural reluctance to release – it's risky and actually takes time away from dev., and because everyone needs free time at the same time.

Where are we going with this? Well, no we're not planning a major change to our public release schedule, it works for us and we've been going for a long time. We once ran a program where if you donated money then we would be able to help beta test. We are considering doing something similar again, some type of donated subscription where you get access to all the latest test builds, bug tracking information, latest news of what the different team members are planning to do, what we are doing. This might even include just saying we are too busy with real life and we will be back on such-and-such a date. That way you could see whenever you want exactly what is happening.

This idea and point of this is that it allows you to show real practical support to the PJ64 team (who are btw, not rich). Firstly, it would let you thank us for all the work we've done over the 5+ years, if you just wanted to do that. Secondly, it would be a real way for anyone to improve the prospects for next few years of Project64. In the short term, it will give you access to all new features and fixes, and more as they appear. It would also give users who subscribed more voice and what should be added/fixed with PJ64, for we would like to set up some private forum for these people (unlike the public forum which has always had a 'no requests' policy). We cannot promise to do everything that people want, Project64 will still be a free hobby project, but if someone is supporting us of course we would like to support them too. Subscribers would be viewed as partners, not customers, with certain things expected (e.g. not leaking builds), although the amount you participate would be up to you. To be blunt, the support we do or don't get with this setup, if we went ahead with it, would likely have big effect on the future of Project64. We've long passed the point where we've done everything we set out to do for ourselves - future progress is dependent on motivation, from in and outside the current team to take things further.

Any suggestions or comments? This is only something we're thinking about at the moment.</font>

Leave your suggestions and comments <a href=http://www.emutalk.net/project64/29570-project64-s-future.html>here</a>!

dragon_rider

&#31169;&#12399;&#31452;&#12364;&#22909;&#12365;&#
So, what do I think about PJ64? It's the best N64 emulator....ever. But lemme start off by saying....thanks to all the guys behind this project! Jabo, Schibo, Azimer, Clements, awesome work!! PJ64 1.6 has to be the best version out there! I could never come close even if I was a programmer, heck if I studied five years' worth of programming I woudn't know the N64's hardware enough to reverse engineer! Again...thanks! Long live Project 64!!

SubCog

I think it would be fair to ask for small donations. PJ64 has proven itself to be a prominent force in the emulation world, and I think alot of people would be willing to donate if they felt that their support would improve the n64 emu scene. How big of donations are we talking? I think 10-20 dollars a piece would be reasonable. Put me down for $15 ;)

ManiacPC

.: ManiacPC :.
I think it's very good to ask for donations...
But, this will be like a "software"? Paying up to grab the emulator? To have the service?

In that case, ask directly for donations... I think a lot of people will donate ;)

battersup

the sound on super smash bros. is messed on pj64 1.6 but it was fine on 1.3 and mario tennis don't work 2 good on 1.6, not trying 2 b a dick or anything jus lettin u kno

Toasty

Sony battery
Aw, ya got my hopes up thinking there was new news about PJ64, evil grave-digger. :getlost:

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
ManiacPC said:
I think it's very good to ask for donations...
But, this will be like a "software"? Paying up to grab the emulator? To have the service?

In that case, ask directly for donations... I think a lot of people will donate ;)

This is very well explained in the 1st post and on the pj64.net news page.

It isn't in anyway a give us money or pj gets it. It is a simple hey 1.7 will probley not hit public for like 1 - 2 years but if you would like to donate towards the project that will be very nice and much appreciated, Donate an X amount to become a member of the PJ64.net Dev section and indeed Dev Process with access to beta files etc that is also very nice as well as helpful towards the ongoing progress.

Some people will obviously prefer to wait until it is released and thats up to them, while others would love to be a part of the development cycle and access to bug tracking, having their say and the beta files.

I personally feel this is a great opportunity for members not only to give a little back to the project via a donation if they have appreciated it over the years, but also to also give something back in the way of becoming a real part of the dev section before the project gets anywhere near a pubic release. Getting across what Members would like to see feature wise via a suggestion in the suggestions section of the dev forum for application and plugin is something that Members have already done and has been very well received.