What's new

Office 2007 Current State

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
With all the news regarding about Vista RC1 release fanfare, it's difficult to find something about Office. Do you guys know when it's going to be released, is there going to be an RC1 for it?

Live4ever1

Noob Till I Die
Well ive been using a pre release of office pro 2007 and it apparently is goin to be realeased for the public the same time as vista in Jan 2007. Office 12 is brilliant btw just hard to get used to and the new .docx format files.

Zoomer

If you haven't already heard of Open Office, run - don't walk - to their site immediateley and download it.

Open Office is a free, open source office suite that, in my opinion, far exceeds what the current MS Office can do. Open Office has an answer to every MS program ( Word = Writer, Excel = Calc, etc ) & even has the ability to open & save to microsoft's file format. This means you can still open .doc files, etc.
I've been using Open Office for the last 6 months and I have no intention of ever going back to MS for office ever again. Go open source!

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
This thread isn't about Open Office (which imho sucks balls - see your opinion isn't absolute), it's about Microsoft Office 2007. To each their own but your post is not relative here.

I'll see about getting my hands on Office 2007 (if its available) to try it out as i've been quite pleased with MS's new software.

edit: Ok there is a way to get your hands on Office 2007 beta, here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx

however the greedy bastards want £1.20 off me to download it... ehhh i'll pay it this time but thats just because i'm in a good mood :D - Office 2007 Professional beta here I come! (downloading now)

Edit2: Wow, i'm really impressed by the first look of this (see attachment), gui has improved... application boots up incredibly fast, installs quicker. Pretty chuffed that i'm using pretty much all state of the art software hehe.

Last edited:
OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
But I already have BETA2 since months ago. Is there going to be a new release before the commercial launch?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Probably, what i'm using now appears to be the current state of office i'm afraid but thats not necessarily a bad thing, this thing looks like a great product to me.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
It is beta 2 of office 2007 I am using, I didn't really know about office 2007, last new office I used was the office 12 package which looked someone like beta 2 of 2007 but this version seems much more refined to me.

yegosimo

Bug Killer
I'm using the Beta 2 version, it is pretty handy, I don't see why would another version be released. This one works fine, but anyways, I guess there is going to be more betas, maybe including more color schemes...

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
UPGRADE:

BETA 2 Technical Refresh has been released. You can download it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...87-01cf-4bc3-821a-0bb10e7a59fa&DisplayLang=en

It needs that you have the BETA2 already installed, for those who doesn't have it it's here:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/beta/getthebeta.mspx?showIntro=n

Technical Refresh has a lot of bug fixes, some new little things, and a new color theme, but the most important thing is that has fixed compatibility problems with Vista. Here's a good review for you guys to read while you download:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/office2007_beta2_tr.asp

Stezo2k

S-2K
cheers for the news :) i've been using beta 2 for a while and it is quite buggy. Tis nice to see another update to iron out the bugs

Still cant get used to the new interface though....

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
But dammit, proofing tools are still missing :( And I need proofing tools for my local language since so much needs to be written in local language and not english.

Clements

Office 2007 does seem to be a big improvement for me in particular, as embedding graphs seems to be quite a bit better, and the export to PDF add-on is a useful feature for me as PDF is common in scientific journals etc. I was also able to convert some old 2003 work to 2007 format to try it out, and add styles and stuff to them very easily, and the end result was pretty good. The ribbon menu will take some getting used to though, and the performance is noticeably slower than 2003. It also crashed a few times, but recovered my document successfully in each instance.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Save to PDF function will not be included in the final version of Office 2007. This due to MS legal issues with Adobe. However it will be available as a downloadable add-on.