What's new

Nvidia or Ati wich one is the best?

soniclink2

the christmas holidays are near and i'm thinking of buying a new graphic card to play on 1964, other emulators and new pc games

i know that i'm probably getting out of the 1964 forum, please forgive me, it's just that i want to make a good decision to have all this range of playing games

i also know that a geforce fx is good for n64 games like zelda64 on 1964, but is terrible on chankast, i don´t know if ati works for both, because nvidia has been my favorite

CF2

Pretends to make sense
nVidia's 6xxx series is excellent in value and quality. My GeForce 6800 handles emulation fine. ATi's X8xx series is also supposed to be decent, but I don't know from experience. The newer series' (GeForce 7xxx/Radeon X1K) aren't quite as cheap, but I think nVidia is winning right now...

revl8er

That Damn Good
I only use nVidia, but I hear that ati's are just as good. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend on a gfx card.

_sniper_

Dont get the FX series, they were a horrible flop and you would just be wasting money on them.

Nvidia right now just blew apart the video card market with there new 7800GTX 512mb, that carding hitting 10k on 3dmark05 at stock!! They also hold the midrange market right now, with the 6600GT-6800GS line up. ATI's 1kx series fall short of Nvidia's cards in almost all benchmarks. So they dont have much to offer. Except one lone card, namely the Sapphire x800GTO2. Which by some crazy streak of luck, Sapphire desided to use the r480 core on it. Also known as the core of the X850XT PE. So, because of that, it can be unlocked from the strock 12 pipelines to 16 (that of the X850XT PE) and OCed. Sofar atleast, it has had a 100% reported success rate at unlocking.

Unlocking Guide
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/vidcard/127/1
The Card
http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16631&vpn=102-A47487-10-AT&manufacture=SAPPHIRE
That puney little stock fan just wont do for OCing (So throw on a new fan)
http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14424&vpn=AVC-AT5-R2&manufacture=Arctic Cooling

But if thats a bit out of your price range, the card you should get, would have to be the 6800 vanilla, or the 6600GT. The AGP 6800 vanilla (the PCI-E version physically ONLY has 12 pipes) with some luck, can be unlocked from 12 pipes to 16 but does not exactly have a 100% succes rate. As these cards are usualy locked for a reason (bad pipes). And it will not gain much peformance. So dont expect what seems to be a 6800 to GT mod. Because the ram is only 128mb of DDR1. Not 256mb of GDDR3 like that 6800GT has.

Unlocking guide
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/

Both the 6600GT and 6800 vanilla have about the same perfomance (@stock). And will actualy PLAY real games unlike an FX card. The information is all here, so the choice is up to you! :D

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
the connect3d x800gto can be unlocked to xt with 16 pipes. it is really good value as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814142052
from the benches ive seen the xt outperforms or at least keeps up with all but the latest cards(nv 7xxxx and ati 1xxx series). I just bought this myself should be getting it tuesday or wednesday. ill let you know if it is any good with n64 emus. though im sure it will be.

For 1964 use a Geforce, my ATI runs at 10~40 fps with rice's plugins, compared to jabos where i get a constant 60, so it depends what you want to use it for really.

-pie

OP
soniclink2

soniclink2

well. i need it to play on 1964, chankast (i know there's a bug on nvidia cards for sonic adventure 2) and pc games (i.e. need for speed underground, pixel shader games)

can someone compare those cards? i've seen in the market the ati 9600 and the geforce fx 5200 i do´n't know the other ones, and also what's that about the open ports? that confuse me

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
Both are excellent, you can't go wrong with either.

However, ATI has a slight performance advantage for DirectX applications, and Nvidia one on OpenGL.

Image quality wise (AA and AF filtering) the crown goes to ATI.

gandalf

Member ready to help
the best image quality goes to ATI (better AF quality and the best AA)

both companies are good for emulation

OP
soniclink2

soniclink2

cloudscapes said:
Both are excellent, you can't go wrong with either.

However, ATI has a slight performance advantage for DirectX applications, and Nvidia one on OpenGL.

Image quality wise (AA and AF filtering) the crown goes to ATI.

but do you know wich model of nvidia or ati would help me with the wide range of pc a emu games? i've seen ati radeon 9600 and fx 5200 on the market, i'm still searching but i want to know of any model to compare and see if matches my budget

gandalf

Member ready to help
9600PRO/XT 128MB/128-bit (nothing with "SE" or 256MB for this card) it´s an great choice for emulation.

Better choice it´s an Nvidia 6600 128MB/128-bit (no 256 with this card) or an ATI x700 128MB too, both are at the same price

GCFreak

I agree with all of you. NVIDIA is the best choice. But ATi is good, too. Go for either the 6800GT or the Sapphire X800GTO2, they nearly perform the same.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
The Connect3D X800GTO is also a good choise, it can be unlocked as the X800GTO² but it's not 100% sure you succed with the Connect3D card.

With unlock i mean open the closed pipes.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
ATi is generaly better for emulation due to the nice driver feautures (ie: overscan which makes games look perfect on TVs). ATi cards also have less power requirements which makes them perfect for laptops and systems with weak PSUs.

Nvidia has better support. You can run many older games with new drivers (this excludes some emulators unfortunately) and there's support for feautures that ATi cards don't have (Pixel Shaders 3.0, 8 bit palleted textures, etc.). Nvidia also offers better support for OSes other than Windows (ie: Linux).

gandalf

Member ready to help
LOL :lol:

the most power-demand card it´s the x1800XT and 7800GTX not,7800´s have some nice power saving thanks to the mobile parts inside, and it´s the best GPU for Notebooks/laptop wathever ( GeForce go 7800GTX)

9800 needs some nice PSU to work, more than an 6600GT

ATI now supports SM 3.0 and better implemention than NVidia one.

and ATI support AA with HDR, Nvidia not.

for older games, both are good.

for emulation both are fine, but with Direct 64 ATI it´s better (orkin have an 9500)

Support for other OS´es ,Nvidia it´s much better than ATI in this part....ATI have not so good drivers.

At least, ATI and NVidia are great for emulation.

if you chose the correct drivers

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Well... Crazy Taxi series don't work with ATi's latest drivers. Final Fantasy VII doesn't even run with hardware acceleration and VIII looks really bad even with it (looks better on my GeForce 2 MX than on my ATi X600).

Excluding X1800XT almost every other ATi card needs less power than an Nvidia of the same power range using default clock speeds.

Overscan simulation is not perfect yet (and supported only by Orkin's plugin so far) so an ATi card can be used to use the feauture correctly.

I haven't looked at the feautures of X1800 cards yet... PS 3.0 support is nice (at last) :D

Last edited: