What's new

Nvidia GeForce4 MX ...so OLD DRIVER, right?

MOYcano 0.23

New Zelda's Fan
It was not bothering me before but recently some small bugs started to blow my mind: the games run fast enough but the color and texture may look like random trash or definitively doesn’t even appear (like some ground and the grass in the Deku Tree, or the fire effects) …besides, if with the integrated chipset I haven’t this kind of bugs in the emulation I don’t see the point to hold up!

I saw around here some comment about the performance/operation of the old 3d–video–cards with some olds drivers …specifically some version of the ForceWare for the GeForce2 and GeForce4 MX family …but I can’t find the commentary anymore!

So (sorry if is some old question with old answer lost around here) for the card I mentioned before, which versions of ForceWare are the best?

SALUDOS! :sombrero:

P.S.: I put some screen-shots from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time because here I can show some of the most critical bugs using the combiner respective to my card (auto-detected, for GeForce...) but these doesn’t mean the topic should be in the emu’s forum since I KNOW how to make it work properly.

Miretank

Lurking
As far as I can remember, the best driver I've used was 48.14 or 52.14...
Though now I'm using the 81.95, and I can't flame it too much :)

GCFreak

Bah I used to use the Windows drivers included with Windows XP On my old MX, worked like a charm :) Right now on my old rig, I'm using some old Omega drivers though.

smcd

I've found problems installing the 4x.xx series in XP SP2 but the 56.xx series works rather well in it.

Ruthless_Edge

owns a dollar-can buy your ass
you might wanna try checking it with other plugins. i used to have that card and i think it had something to do with ram issues, cant remember. someone correct me if im wrong, because i used to have the same card but with less memory (64mb) and that used to be my problem as well. i think for the most part glide64 (with the right wrapper) worked rather well in most cases for me.
you should check with other plugins to see if its the same case.

if your having the same issues i used to have, then that only happened every now and then, or more specifically, in specific areas (i.e. certain spots in the deku tree area, yet other locations in that same area might or might not turn white.) also, i think you might want to check the game faq help menus for 1964 and pj64 cuz i forgot which one, but it sort of explains why you might be getting that problem. I cant be bothered tonight but ill keep an eye on this post and if you havent figured it out in due time, ill look into it for you because i recall there was a solution, mainly i think it was just changing plugins though.

(sorry for the long post, i tend to type alot, heh.) and if someone knows im wrong about this, by all means don't hesitate to mention, it might have been the integrated shitless graphics crap i used before that card.

OP
MOYcano 0.23

MOYcano 0.23

New Zelda's Fan
Ruthless_Edge said:
you might wanna try checking it with other plugins. i used to have that card and i think it had something to do with ram issues...
Err... I think you didn't look the P.S. in my message: actually I was catching these errors to show some of the malfunctioning I mentioned, but tanks for the consideration. By the way, in this time (still using NGO v1.8195) I get the best operation using RICE video Plug-in 6.1.1 beta 10 with “DirectX - Limited 3 stages combiner” (“OpenGL – To fit your video card” work better with the colors but are SLOOOOOW and some borders look too pixelated).

Well… since I have the SP2, I will try with the (Optimized) NVIDIA Omega 1.5303 or 1.5672a

Please, fell free of post additional comments… since I didn’t think to change my video-card in some time

SALUDOS! :sombrero:

EDIT: I'm using 1.5303 and the result is identical but much faster (for example, Colin McRae 04 run now smooooth). Also I notice the Jabo 1.6 works without the black floor!

Last edited:

TerraPhantm

The 4x.xx series is probably the best for your card (or mebe 3x.xx), nVidia usually optimizes their drivers best for the newest card out at that time.