What's new

Norton Utilities

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
What are the advantages an the disadvantges of installing Norton Utilities. Any similar and better option?

Eagle

aka Alshain
Disadvantages can be removed by disabling certain components. It has a file recovery system that helps a bunch if you accidently delete a file and then empty the recylce bin. I dont use it much, but its nice to know its there, the downside is it takes resources to keep running and HD space but this can be disabled. It has a kick ass defrag program, much better than Windows defag as it can move the swap file. That right there is enough to make it worthwhile. Norton Disk Doctor, Win Doctor, and System Doctor help prevent and diagnose problems. They take up resources for the continuous monitors, but that can be avoided by turning them off. Then there is Wipe, which can protect your HD from unwanted hackers undeleting confidential stuff that is ages old. Then there is system information that can tell you just about everything about your system you ever wanted to know and then some. And thats about it. It used to have an optimization wizard that would fix the registry and remove old entries, but Its not in the newer version. Or at least it doesnt show up as being able to use it on Windows 2000.

Ryoga

Lost
http://www.ontrack.com/systemsuite/

This is a program that I read about in a pc magazine as being about equal to norton utilities (norton's antivirus is better but the registery tweaker in systemsuite isn't disabled in xp and has some other stuff that norton doesn't)

eagle: the registery thingy may be there in win 2000 but it is definitly left out when installed on a computer running xp.

Ryoga

Lost
Sorry eagle, I meant the Optimization Wizard (was just too lazy to go check what it was called) that ?defragments? (I think, damn...I can't remember) or does something to the registery and swap file but for whatever reason was disabled in XP.