What's new

Nobody else seems to have had this problem!

cheesus

Can somebody help me please?
I have installed chankast and d/l some roms....great! but when i start chankast most of the dreamcast logo is missing, and there is no text at all at the start menu! also, i am using poweriso and booting as an image file, tried alcohol120 too but there is just a picture of a disc at the startup screen (as if i am trying to listen to a music CD, i cannot load the disc by pressing any buttons on the menu) and some very strange noises when i move the cursor and, again, no text anywhere. can somebody please help? I have looked in all the FAQs and forums and there has been no mention of this problem. Is it because i dont have a pentium 4? If anybody can figure this one out i'll be a very happy clappy jappy chappy....cheers! :)

Windows vista home premium
Intel pentium D CPU 3GHZ
RAM 1015mb
32 bit O/S

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
First: Chankast needs selfboot images.
Second: Chankast is old, NullDC is a way more advanced.
Third: You downloaded the games, we won't support piracy here.
Nuff said.

Jack_S85

Exact same problem!

Hey

I've been trying to run a few dumps of some old DC games and I'm getting the exact same problems. Have tried nullDC but that literaly does nothing when i run a disc, although the screen flickers! But this is a very difficult way to make that happen :p

Anyways.....any ideas? I get as far as the boot screen too, but no text and when i run soul caliber for example, the dreamcast logo wont appear and although it seems the game loads, i cant see a thing other than a few shapes...

Help would be awesome as the DC broke, thus having the dust covered discs waiting in the loft!! I miss shenmue!

Last edited:

Jack_S85

Sorry school boy error, wrote that late last night so forgive me...

Dual Core Centrino 1.6GHZ (spec'ed at 2.9)
2 Gigs ram
256mb Intel 945GM integrated graphics
160 Gig HDD
Windows XP SP2

If it is to do with my spec im guessing its the built in graphics card? Thats whats screwed me over on most things so far, dont think i can replace it being integrated

Cheers

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
That integrated Intel chip is the problem. No Dreamcast emulator works properly with these chips thanks to the chips' lacking feature set.

The best (and often only) option is to get a decent video card. Having an integrated graphics chip,will not get you far in emulation, especially with emulators that emulate 3D hardware. Having said that, you can try a program called 3DAnalyze, which tries to emulate certain hardware features of graphics cards in software, effectively bypassing the integrated chips poor hardware support. This won't always work though.

What you want to be looking for in 3DAnalyze is an option called "Emulate hardware T&L caps", which tries to emulate Transform&Lighting-based routines in software, thanks to Intel's chips lacking hardware T&L.

Last edited:

Jack_S85

Thought as much....bugger! Thanks, tried 3Danalyze but no luck. I always fail on T&L and pixel shading, crappy graphics card, being a laptop and being integrated i think im stuck with it which is a shame.

Cheers loads for your help though mate:batman:

Too bad there is no such thing as emulating a good video card to use with an emulator. Maybe someone can emulate a decent ATI card that can emulate an emulator. :)

Jack_S85

Haha yeah, that'd be genius! And watch my poor CPU melt in the process! :)

Im gonna have to come up with the funds to get a new laptop one day, damn you intel

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If you are going to get a new laptop, at least make sure that it's integrated graphics chip is either from Nvidia or ATI.