What's new

Nintendo Intellectual Property Protection Section

CooL

Emulation Freak
This is nice
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/faqs/legal.html

Can Websites and/or Internet Content Providers be Held Liable for Violation of Intellectual Property Rights if they are Only Providing Links to Illegal Software and/or Other Illegal Devices?

Yes. Personal Websites and/or Internet Content Providers sites That link to Nintendo ROMs, Nintendo emulators and/or illegal copying devices can be held liable for copyright and trademark violations, regardless of whether the illegal software and/or devices are on their site or whether they are linking to the sites where the illegal items are found.

Last edited:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

That tells me that to backup your own copy is ok as long as its not distributed. :thumbsup:

now if only I had any bloody games to backup :innocent:

/me pokes blizz

I have a bigger.....ummm quick over there!:D

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
vampireuk said:
That tells me that to backup your own copy is ok as long as its not distributed. :thumbsup:

"whether you have an authentic game or not... or (have a N64 ROM)... it is illegal..."
Misread much there? Both are illegal.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Ok stalkid no offence but this is the time where that thing you learned when you were 5 (reading) comes into play.

The backup/archival copy exception

The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic

Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal

see now this is where you finished off but there is a bit more...

Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

now note the word in bold and Italics earlier, exception. There is a exception to the rule. Again note the highlighting.

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
IMO thats stupid, lets say , a kid , age 15 reads the site

"A Nintendo emulator is a software program that is designed to allow game play on a platform that it was not created for (...)"
- WOW like, i can play all the games on my PC for FREE ? scrue Nintendo

and then he/she/it goes searching for roms.....

"Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I (....)"
- So , i can find the games on internet !

and he does ...

"Are Game Copying Devices Illegal? "
- so... i can download a game - then - upload it on my cart and play it on my GBA (n64 or whatever) ? cool

"How Do I Report Potential Infringements to Nintendo Products? "
- yeah right .....

neoak

Triforce of Something...
I thought about buying a V64 or a GBA Linker, but, since the 64 games that i have are the ones i like and the GBA sux played on such big PC screen, i buy the GBA games.

That's only me.

P.D. Evangelion 64 was the exception.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
"Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet."
The supposed exception states essentially that there is NO exception then... I feel a "duh" is in order for those who don't have english degrees or clearly the skills to read a sentence correctly.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
yes it is illegal to download the game from the internet wether you have the game or not. However the exception states that you can make a back up of your own game as long as it will not be distributed. Read the entiiiiiiiiire thing from a non biased view. You cannot download from the internet but can have a copy of the game you own as long as you make that copy. Damn I love plain english:cool:

Jaz

Ex-Mod
vampireuk said:
You cannot download from the internet but can have a copy of the game you own as long as you make that copy.

Yes, by law you're allowed to backup any software that you purchased legally.

However, it must be a copy of your copy. That make sense?! ;)

RatTrap

GODLIKE
vampi.. i think we all knew that.. but that's not the point.. the point is that it IS ilegal to download off the net..

WHO in here actually owns a backup unit? (wich i dunno how legal one of those things are in the first place)..

and WHo actually backs up the games they have into roms like this?.. and only owns those roms he has backed up?..

the legallity issue is not that of what is right and what is wrong.. you have both things.. there is a legal side and a non legal side.. but why we end up in the gray area is coz if nintendo asked all of us in this forum.. what would we tell them?..

"No sir.. i don't own any n64 roms.. just some demo roms"..

or maybe..

"oh no sir.. i only backed up my own games.. so that is why i have 5 roms"..

you think they would believe everyone saying that?.. hehe.. i think not.. but would they have time to check?.. of course not.. they would have to send ppl all over the world to find out who is legal and who isn't.. so we all end up in the "ghhhrey" area :p..

and let me tell you right now.. i doubt VERY much.. that there is even 1 person in ET who only has roms of his backed up games.. wich is something i am 100% sure they know too..

so this is as ilegal as it gets.. you can live under the illusion that we've donne nothing wrong.. or that we are rightous and just emulating an old system and helping ppl with trouble running their games.. or find a good way to excuse yourself.. but that's just lying to yourself and others.. plain and simple.. most discussions that happen in ET are as ilegal as the thread stalkid started and got deleted some time ago :p..

if not more :p..

Last edited:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
RatTrap but the point is there is a legality to it. Whereas there is no legality at all to a leaked alpha. Its true pretty much no one will have their own personaly made ROM's but we can pretend now cant we :D