What's new

Nights: Stage Out!

OP
T

Tweedledee

OK.
This is where things get tricky.
He's right: extracting the CD and running it in a virtual drive defeats the problem I am having; it also defeats the purpose that I turned to SSF after near stability with GiriGiri.
SSF, unlike GiriGiri, can play the movie files, both the intro and the in-game ones. However, when extracting the file onto my hard disk (using ISOBuster) track 2 comes out as a .tao file. This becomes tricky as the best I can do is:

1. Change the extension of Track 2 into .bin (I don't actually think this does anything, but it's part of what I did as I was experimenting.)
2. Use GiriGiri's tools to convert everything into a .bin, .cue set up
3. Mount the image as a .bin .cue system

While the game, on the whole, works, the movie files are missing and the music tracks are shuffled.
Any solution to this problem? (P.S. As an image on my computer, there is no issues involving the original problem).

Borisz

shima stated once on his site (or was it the bbs, i forgot) that original CDs might cause problems cause some drives cannot operate in such a way to mimic the timing of the Saturn, according to which SSF operates. And using a virtual drive fixes it.

use CDRWin and make a real bin/cue with it, mount that, and voila.

OP
T

Tweedledee

Ok.
First of all, I'd like to express my deepest gratitude to the last two posters: ptitrun and Borisz. Their single (and small) post each has ended the issues dealt with in this post. And such simple advice!
This said, I must now review:
1. I no longer run Nights direct from the CD with SSF, it is now a virtual drive on my PC. This solves the error message that started this post.
2. I used CDRwin to extract the data instead of ISOBuster, which caused the second lot of problems. This resolved the issue of not being able to play the game as well as I would have liked.

Thank you to all who kept this post fresh (Psyman, etc.) and gave me worthy pieces of advice to try.

Borisz

Isobuster is nice for extracting tracks or files manually, and also has tons of other neat features (listing the file LBAs, sector view, etc). BUT it cannot do full 1:1 images, so far that use CDRWin or Blindwrite 4. Bin/cue is usually the best format to use (just avoid Alcohol when making bin/cue images as it is flawed).