What's new

Next version of Project64

Emu_Lover

After seeing Project64 1.5sp1 I'm really looking forward to the next version. Project64 is really becoming something great. :D Project64 has always been my N64 emulator of choice. You're doing a great job with your emulator Smiff. Keep up the good work. :pj64:

scotty

The Great One
Project 64 has been discontinued for a long time. The team that does it split up, Smiff still does a bit, but as long as Jabo (main coder) is not doing any work on it, I doubt there will be any type of work done on the larger front of the core, and the plugins

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
I can see theres a slight misunderstanding as who Does/did what etc on Project64 with the both of you.

So i will post this here although it is already clearly written in the Project64 User Manual on 1.5 under Credits.

Project64 Credits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project64 Team

Zilmar - founder. Core and application programming up to v1.4. Reverse engineering. Plugin specifications and basic plugins.

Tooie - lead application programming v1.5.

Jabo - video, audio and input plugin programming. Reverse engineering. RSP recompiler.

Smiff - bug tracking, management, design, testing, suggestions, rdb, end user support.

Witten - application programming v1.5, cheat system design and implementation.

Gent - cheat system design, cheat database, testing, end user support.

RadeonUser - testing

I hope that clears it up for you guys.

yes there was a sp1 and smiff has hinted at a sp2 at some point in the future.
But to what that might include is not clear if it will just be files or otherwise.

Project64 1.5 was honestly pretty much everything any of us could have ever wished for or indeed hope it to be.
from the original wishes of the 1st birth of Project64 & i Quote Zilmar here "This release is considered a public beta so don't expect this to run on your machine. But if it does then Enjoy :)" - 1.5 i think you would all agree it supassed that initial goal.

I am seriously not saying anything different to what Smiff has already said on the pj64 website about the 1.5 (final realease) (as in not beta)

As for plans of another version ? it just has not be discussed.

All the team are far too busy having a great time resting doing thier own thing & I myself am reintroducing myself to my wife, Family, & the outside world :eek: :p

Last edited:

Quvack

Gent said:
All the team are far too busy having a great time resting doing thier own thing & I myself am reintroducing myself to my wife, Family, & the outside world :eek: :p

:) Thats what we wanna hear! That whole real life thing (friends, family, etc.) is much more important than anything emulation based, or anything else really :)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
I hope I don't sound greedy here, but I absolutely hate to see useful programs be discontinued without having the source code released. I understand the protecting your work stuff, but that's what the GPL is for.

Frankly, a lot of people would benefit from having access to the source code, such as Project64k and Azimer. And if Orkin/Rice/Gonetz could figure out how emulate clear works, other gfx plugins would benefit, too.

I feel in cases like this, everybody usually loses out: the authors, because their work slowly disappears into oblivion as things surpass it, and the users, because noone else is able to build upon and improve, or gain knowledge from, the work.

Last edited:

smegforbrain

The Khan Artist said:
I hope I don't sound greedy here, but I absolutely hate to see useful programs be discontinued without having the source code released. I understand the protecting your work stuff, but that's what the GPL is for.

Personal preference here as well from myself:

I wouldn't care who works on it as long as somebody is willing to improve upon the emulator and game compatability. :)

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I agree, programs should have their source released if they are 100% discontinued. Perhaps under the stipulation that it can't be modified and recompiled and packaged, but at least for informational purposes. I think it should be coder's ethics. But that's a whole other debate :)

I think that if PJ64 source isn't released that's not such a big deal, but Jabo's Graphics source should most definetely be released, it would help alot of coders a great deal. If he would just answer a couple of simple questions it would help - it's kind of sad that he won't. But i'm not one to criticize. At least the mystery of emulate clear has been (partially) solved.

Off topic - isn't reverse engineering illegal? If so, how did the PJ64 team get away with writing they did it in the credits?

noctrun

noctrunal internet surfing guy
I think the 1.5 sources should be released as where the sources of 1.4, projects like azimier's soundfix or the network version would benefit form it, if jabo doesn't want to release the code of this gfx plugin I am fine with that

nephalim said:
Off topic - isn't reverse engineering illegal? If so, how did the PJ64 team get away with writing they did it in the credits?

reverse enginer is not illigal in every country in the world so you can't answer that question with yes or no