What's new

Newbie regarding INI Files

Chameleon

Hi, everyone!

So glad to have just registered with this board. :cheers:

Okay, so after having successfully beat the Gameboy Advance and SNES emulation stuff, I'm on to bigger & better things, namely N64.

I have a 7 year old step-son who loves me very much, to say the least, for the Advance and SNES stuff I got my PC to run for him. It's a fantasy come true for the boy. :bouncy:

Yesterday, I dove into the N64 arena for the first time. I must say that from what I have tried so far, it looks like Nemu is the cat's meow. Reason being that nothing else seems to hold a candle when it comes to running our Gravis GamePad Pro. Have tried v.7, 7a, and am now happy with 8. If there is something better, feel free to guide me.

Yes, I have read the FAQs and dare as much to post my problem as having about 9 out of 10 Roms not work for me. I know this is a no-no to post but can you please hang in there for a bit longer???

I believe (wonder if) the problem isn't these INI files I have. Can someone please fill me in on what's going on with these things and what to do with any I find for download??? I keep overwriting my config file within Nemu but something about that feels very wrong to me. What am I missing or doing wrong??? There are so many files available. Which ones and what to do with them???? :(

I have scoured the net, far & wide, for answers but have found little to help me. No way can that many games fail by either doing the gray-screen thing or by not allowing full controller function such that I keep ending up at the "Start" screen, over & over. Or maybe all of you have also gone through this one-in-ten game thing as well???

Thanx in advance for any help or consideration anyone here can send my way.

Please help me send a cute little 7 year old boy one plain higher toward his personal Utopia. ;)

Randy

Trotterwatch

Nemu 8 is indeed a very capable emulator. You may wish to post a small selection of games that you definately can not get to run satisfactorily, it could well be that a lot of them are just known problems.

If you wish you can use a seperate graphics plugin, if it is only the graphics at fault. Jabos plugins come recommended (you need to download PJ64 in order to obtain them).

As for the controller issue, you should find that your controller works perfectly using PJ64/1964 using the Nrage plugin providing you configure it correctly, I can see no reason why it would not.

You may also wish to check out the emutalk IRC channel, http://www.emutalk.net/chat.php?
Realtime help can often be sought out there.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chameleon

Trotterwatch,

Thanx so much for the advice! I'm on it right away. I'll post back as to how I'm making out.

1964 didn't have any GamePad support, as I could tell, so I turfed it. Was I wrong?

So what's all this with the INI files available......you know.......the famed x-file, the other famed x-file....and so on...... Is there some weight to be put to these files and what should I be looking for or doing with them? If the default config file with Nemu 8 is just fine, please let me know.

As for the problematic games list, I shall hunt down some of your suggestions first......my gamer is still fast asleep (probably dreaming of Pokemons) so I'll wait for him to do the testing. ;)

Randy

edit Okay....PJ64/1964.....I am sucha Homer! I'll go get this stuff. Sorry. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

1964 didn't have any GamePad support, as I could tell, so I turfed it. Was I wrong?

The best thing you can do, is as you are doing now. Download the latest versions of each of the emulators, you will find most (1964/PJ64 etc, and to a certain extent Nemu) can share plugins between each other. Go into the plugin menus of each of the respective emulators to adjust the plugins/controls to suit your needs.

The top 3 emulators at the moment are probably PJ64, 1964 and Nemu 8 - however that doesn't belittle any of the other N64 emus out, in particular Mupen (which has made amazing strides recently).

Ini's can make a difference, particularly with Nemu8 which Lemmy himself admitted the Ini was a little dated, and could undoubtedly be improved upon. People such as Mighty Rocket, Harteex and Federelli have made many improvements, so I would try their ones out (as Mighty has posted above).

OP
C

Chameleon

Okay,

We have been out for a while here but PJ64 along with SP1 seems to be doing just fine so far.

Before I go on, please fogive me for all this prattle. I am a newb at all this N64 stuff.

With P64, I only see 25 out of 33 Roms I have in a separate folder from all the Emus. Any ideas as to why? About half the games are working to a tee, some flagged as possible video problems are fine. A couple look to be in big trouble. I will not burden you with which is which at this time.

So far - so good, at least as far as my satisfaction goes and definitely compared to yesterday's fiaso-like attempt(s).

Now, these plugins of which you speak.......where are they at and where do I store them in Windows Explorer? Separate folder, I presume? Special location? Where and how?

This last paragraph is vital for me to have answered, if you would be so kind. This is coming along just fine, thanx only to this board.

I cannot thank you enough for your patience with me thus far.

More grateful than you know,
Randy

Trotterwatch

You can get the plugins at the Emutalk downloads section:
http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=67

With P64, I only see 25 out of 33 Roms I have in a separate folder from all the Emus. Any ideas as to why?

Could the roms be in .rar files perchance? The emulator can only read uncompressed or zipped rom files. Also a big possibility is that you added these 8 files into the folder after you first started PJ64. The solution is simple, just press F5 to refresh the rom browser :)

Now, these plugins of which you speak.......where are they at and where do I store them in Windows Explorer? Separate folder, I presume? Special location? Where and how?

Put them into the plugins section of the emulators, for example: C:/program/PJ64/plugins etc

You can just keep all the plugins in one main folder if you wish, and then point the other emulators to use that folder via their options.

One caveat is, to use Glide64 you will need a glide wrapper called Evoodoo also available from the downloads section. In that instance you should place (Evoodoo) in the root folder of the emu you want to use it with. IE. C:/programs/PJ64/ , C:/programs/1964/ etc

Lastly but by no means least, you should check out the PJ64 readme that is included with the emulator, it is incredibly well put together and answers many of these types of questions.

I hope this helps :)

/Edit/

1,500 posts Woohooo, some sort of landmark I think :)

Last edited:
OP
C

Chameleon

Well, well, well!!!!

Congrats on your 1500th post, Trotterwatch! :cheers:

Glad I could be the one that brought in on for you! :D

Now...want to post some more???

Okay, PJ64 is not refreshing its list. I went to the folder with the ROMs in it and noticed that I had V64 files, Z64 files, ROM files, and just plain old File files. What I did was associated all I could to open with PJ64. All could be done but the File files. I can't associate them to open with anything whatsoever. Alas, none of this was to any avail with regard to the list in PJ64 or the ability to open the ROMS from the folder for that matter. Oh, well, it was an attempt. No problem choosing a game from the folder in PJ64 via manually browsing "all files" within that folder.

Only thing I miss about ROMs not being in the PJ64 list is the handy way PJ64 flags any possible trouble with the ROMs when they are in the list.

I know I have a lot more to learn. Examples are the Bad2Good & the Windows programs I got from PJ64. Perhaps these figure prominently when it comes to straightening things out and repairing glitches. Am I on the right track here???

Any plugins in particular that are highly recommended/effective, from the site you posted?????

Now please help yourself to go well into the 1500s thanks to this relentless newb. :ermm:

Randy

P.S. I should ask you the fatal question......what can you do?........can't reach my 'nads from there, can ya? :naughty:

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

For the roms issue, go here and download all 3 programs:
http://www.smiff.clara.net/utilities/rom/index.htm

That will rename all your roms to the correct names, as well as highlighting any bad roms etc As a rule after you have run your roms through GoodN64 you will have things such as:

= American
[E] = European
[!] = Good
[o] = Overdumped (usually work fine though)
= Bad (redownload from somewhere else, alternatively check out the bad2good patches which you can also obtain from the site I listed)

There are more letters, but those are the main ones you will encounter.

As for plugins. Well the defaults always tend to work pretty well, ie Jabos D3D. However other recommended plugins are:

Glide64 + Evoodoo (very high compatibility)
Rices Daedalus (likewise)
GL64

If you are having issues with particular games, then feel free to post them for even more targeted help :)