What's new

New programmer with some general questions

rockytrh

I am currently learning C++ (almost to the MFC part in the book) and i know that is what most(?) emus are programmed with.
My question (1) is do emu programmers generally use MFC or ATL to program emus with. Or maybe even as advanced as COM controls? Just wondering how much C++ i need to know to start developing a emu.

(2) is there a website that gives a tutorial of emulation? I have no idea how to even go about emulating

(3) what is a good, relativly easy (but not EASY easy), system to start with?

Thanks,
Tyler

Azimer

Emulator Developer
(1) None. The authors I've worked with (and myself) have used only the Windows Platform SDK functions. No MFC, ATL, COM, blah... Nothing except those standard C function calls to the SDK.

(2) If you are just learning C++, I recommend learning first. Then looking through source code. I learned a great deal about emulation from the old XNES source. It was sloppy, but it gave me the very basics without too much overload.

(3) Chip8. If you are a C newb, a programming newb, and an emulation newb... You need an "EASY easy" project to get your feet wet.

Also. Do yourself a favor and don't have high expectations. Do your projects for you and not for some conceited ideal. There's nothing worse then unfinished, over-exalted crap on your computer. I speak from personal experience. I have one public project and about 4-5 private projects to finish on my PC. I may never get to them again... but I still get asked about at least two of them frequently.

smcd

Check the programming forum here, there are stickies. Chip-8, Gameboy, and NES. There's resources for each, and even code posted by several people.

smcd

I'd wager that most are written in either C or C++. You can use the Windows API from inside C++ basically the same as in C.