What's new

New PC :D

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
I finally got the parts for my pc on friday and me and my mate put it together in no time. So from my laptop:
Athlon XP 1900+
256MB Memory
Radeon 320M IGP
DVD/CDRW
14.5" Display
floppy disk drive
4 USB 1.1
1 Firewire

to my
3.2GHZ HT Pentium 4
512 3200 DDR MEMORY
Geforce 5600Ultra
DVD WRITER supporting dual layer
dvd reader
floppy disk drive
17" TFT Monitor
6 USB 2.0
2 Firewire
2 Speakers with Subwoofer
500W PSU
and a case with a window beside! :p
its great, i can now run games of what i had (jedi academy, far cry) and wot i just got (need for speed underground) right up to high and it runs at a smooth 60FPS!
I'm not gonna upgrade the video card for a long while yet, as everythin runs gr8, so i'm happy! :happy:

Last edited:

Knuckles

you would have been better to take a FX5700, the perfomance is WAY better and the price difference is small, the FX5700 is approx twice better than the 5600 (even the Ultra) at a little 40 to 60$ more than the 5600 price.

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
Knuckles said:
you would have been better to take a FX5700, the perfomance is WAY better and the price difference is small, the FX5700 is approx twice better than the 5600 (even the Ultra) at a little 40 to 60$ more than the 5600 price.

Yeah or this.

Clements

5600 U and 5700 have fairly similar performance since they have the same pipe configuration, similar clocks, both 128-Bit etc. so there would be hardly any difference.

A 256-Bit card would give 2x the performance, eg a 5900/9700 or above, at not much more expense.

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
right now the games im runnin are at a smooth 60fps wiv everythin on high, so i dont see the point in gettin a £200+ card when I can run games wiv a high performance for only £80

Stezo2k

S-2K
Good choice for a 32 bit system, but bad choice if you want your system to be midrange in a year or 2 with many new advancements round the corner.

Example of this are: DDR2 (just come out) which is faster than regular DDR Ram, PCI Express graphics (nearly out) which is a new graphics interface which is at least twice as fast as AGP, dual core processors (not out for a while though) which will make the x86 architechture much better for multi-tasking and improving performence much more, BTX form factor (not out for a while) which helps cooling of the system, 90nm processors (just come out) which improves heat and performence, and last of all 64 bit processors (only AMD-64s out at present) which will help motherboard and processor performence.

Alright, they will be pricey to buy when the gear is out, but I think its worth waiting for prices to drop, i recon you should of stayed with your xp 1900+ and upgraded your RAM and Gfx card, it is adequate for most of the latest games/apps at present anyway

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
Stezo2k said:
Good choice for a 32 bit system, but bad choice if you want your system to be midrange in a year or 2 with many new advancements round the corner.

Example of this are: DDR2 (just come out) which is faster than regular DDR Ram, PCI Express graphics (nearly out) which is a new graphics interface which is at least twice as fast as AGP, dual core processors (not out for a while though) which will make the x86 architechture much better for multi-tasking and improving performence much more, BTX form factor (not out for a while) which helps cooling of the system, 90nm processors (just come out) which improves heat and performence, and last of all 64 bit processors (only AMD-64s out at present) which will help motherboard and processor performence.

Alright, they will be pricey to buy when the gear is out, but I think its worth waiting for prices to drop, i recon you should of stayed with your xp 1900+ and upgraded your RAM and Gfx card, it is adequate for most of the latest games/apps at present anyway

IMO ddr2 will not become interesting until it reaches 800mhz. Thanks to the higher latency of ddr2, 400mhz dd1 = 533mhz ddr2 in speed. My ddr is known to max around 290mhz 2-2-2-6 given a fair amount of voltage.

If ddr2 manufacterers can figure out how to drop the latency from 5-5-5-8 to atleast 3-2-2-6, everyone would be hopping all over ddr2 including myself.

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
Stezo2k said:

Well as I had a laptop the graphics card was soldered into the motherboard, so no chance there!
I upgraded because I was always runing out of hard drive space as I only had 25gb, and also if i ever ran more than 2 programs it would run so slow, but with this computer I can run 6 or even 8 programs and it still wouldnt even slow down. I'm gonna wait until the prices of the 6800 reduce, but ive been looking on some uk stores and they're all still on order, as none of them have been released, does anyone know if any 6800 cards have been released in the uk or the release date?

Stezo2k

S-2K
DarthDazDC said:
Well as I had a laptop the graphics card was soldered into the motherboard, so no chance there!

Is the geforce go external? i think i remember hearing of a one