What's new

New FX5200!

Steveman610

:D Just got a new computer :D And it has an FX5200 (Geforce 128mb) and I was wonderin' what plugins work best with it. On my old computer i have an aTi Radeon 7200 and it worked best (and fastest) with Jabo's plugins. Can anyone recommend good plugins for the FX5200 and maybe a good plugin for a Radeon 7200? Im sorta thinkin that glide64 + evoodoo might work fine with my new FX5200. :satisfied Thanks in advance!

Trotterwatch

I advise to just download a few of them and try them out, then you can see first hand what works well. The plugins take only a matter of minutes to download even on a 56k. And even though one may play a certain game fine, another may play it even better... experiment my friend.

Flash

Technomage
Steveman610 said:
:D Just got a new computer :D And it has an FX5200 (Geforce 128mb) and I was wonderin' what plugins work best with it. On my old computer i have an aTi Radeon 7200 and it worked best (and fastest) with Jabo's plugins. Can anyone recommend good plugins for the FX5200 and maybe a good plugin for a Radeon 7200? Im sorta thinkin that glide64 + evoodoo might work fine with my new FX5200. :satisfied Thanks in advance!
It will but one thing - eVoodoo doesn't support multitexturing yet
so better to call it not "eVoodoo3" but "eBanshee" :)
What it means ? Some framebuffer effects slow as hell and some glitches but bigger part of supported games will work ok.

also try glN64 and Rice's plugin - very good plugins.

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
My personal favorite is Orkin's (glN64). It's really pretty in a lot of games, especially SSB, SM64 and Z:OoT.

However, I have to second Trotterwatch. It takes a little time, but it can save you headaches in the long run. GL!

RadeonUser

flow`` said:
first i'd suggest you put on dx9b and the new 52.14 drivers, then have fun :p

I would recommend staying away from those beta drivers. There are rumors floating about www.guru3d.com that say those drivers are prone to fan failure (which may in turn lead to a dead video card). So just stick to the 45.23 Detonator driver set that's up on nVidia's site for now, they should be more than enough as it is.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I used to have a fx5200 and I found that Jabos plugin works great with it, and so does rice's 0.5.1d.

Lex

RadeonUser said:
I would recommend staying away from those beta drivers. There are rumors floating about www.guru3d.com that say those drivers are prone to fan failure (which may in turn lead to a dead video card). So just stick to the 45.23 Detonator driver set that's up on nVidia's site for now, they should be more than enough as it is.
That's only with the geforce fx 5600 and 5800 because they've got fan control wich the fx 5200 doesn't have

revl8er

That Damn Good
It also states that it affects the fx5900. I'm not sure about the fx5200 though since I haven't tried those drivers.

Moosk

Hello, I was wondering what plugin would be compatable with Conkers bad fur day. I also am running a geforce fx 5200.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
RadeonUser said:

Actually, it looks like you got it wrong, unless both Radeon and GeForce
are affected too. I saw that the Radeon 9800 video cards are affected
too.

Trotterwatch

Actually, it looks like you got it wrong, unless both Radeon and GeForce
are affected too. I saw that the Radeon 9800 video cards are affected
too.

Eh? What does a Radeon have to do with Detonator drivers?

Kaoss626

(confused look @ RJARRRPCGP) Trotterwatch I'm with you.

I'm not sure how variable fan speed on a geforceleafblower errr geforce FX could lead to fan failure, but I would probably stick with the 45.xx refercence drivers for now Nvidia has been doing some shady things lately (forced optimizations, reducing image qualitly for speed, while the consumer thinks they have set the card for max qualitly)

as for ATI, I very good friend of mine had to RMA a 9800Pro that was less than a month old because the fan quit and the chip let out the magic smoke. Possibly ATI in their quest for minimal cooling with as quiet a fan as possible has shaved one corner too close again, and put a crappy fan prone to failure on their card. IMHO ATI Radeons own pretty much anything comperable Nvidia can put out, but pretty much the first thing I do with any ATI card is upgrade the cooling solution.

Looks at sig and sees both machines with Geforce... errrr they were given to me, and I'm not gonna look a given (free) horse in the mouth.

ManInBlack

RJARRRPCGP probably ment a similar problem with newest Catalyst 3.8 drivers as they increase the temperature of a Radeon graphic card for about 10 degrees celsius (which is OK if you do not overclock)...

Badaro

Kaoss626 said:
I'm not sure how variable fan speed on a geforceleafblower errr geforce FX could lead to fan failure

From the bug reports I read, the problem was that when running OpenGL screensavers the card would be running the full-power mode, but the fan would stay at the low-power mode. Causing the card to overheat and die.

[]s Badaro

Kaoss626

ohhhh that booger eating moron created bug.....

that would do it...Yea Nvidia kinda blew it on that one. Though I would have thought they would have corrected it by now.

Definitly if they haven't corrected it, no OpenGL or D3D screen savers untill they have. And even then, I'd start up the screen saver and pop the side of my tower off just to see if the fan kicked in. No way am I going to zorch a $500 video card while I was away from my computer because some moron thought that no screen saver would load my video processor

Last edited: