What's new

New Card

DaRK-_DrAgOn

My brother removed my old card the geforce2mx 32mb ram and replaced it with the radeon9200se 128mb ram is this card better??

Dr.Calypso

Actually the Radeon is better, but it is one of the slowest radeon cards at the moment so don't expect any great performance inrease in new games...

Clements

The Radeon 9200 SE is faster, although the upgrade is still from a budget card to another budget card so the performance increase is not going to be spactacular to enable you to play in much higher resolutions compared to an upgrade to an 9600.

Both have 64-Bit memory at the same clock speed, but the MX has a slower clock speed. The MX has a 2x2 pipe configuration, but the Radeon 9200 SE has a much better 4x1 configuration making it even faster than a FX5200 64-Bit card, but is slower than a GeForce4 MX 440-type card. The Radeon 9200 SE is DirectX 8.1 compliant supporting Pixel shaders 1.4 and Vertex Shaders 1.1, which is good for PC games although not exactly ideal for Dolphin, but it'll work much better than the MX. If the Radeon 9200 SE was nice and cheap, then you made a good choice, but if you wanted a card capable of playing Dolphin without problems, it's not really a card I would have recommended.

Last edited:

foogy

since we are on the subject

i have a geforcefx 5200 128mb card, i play alot of pc games (Empires, Call of Duty, Etc.) and emulate games aswell (from nes to n64) do i need to get a better card? so far its decent, i got it for only $60 only last Xmas. i have heard many people saying that the card sucks and i should get a better one......will it be enough to run Doom 3 and HL2 when they come out on say, medium quality? thanks

Dr.Calypso

Its gonna be hard to play these games with acceptable fps with a FX5200, even on medium quality. Maybe somewhere between low and medium quality. I recommend buying a Radeon 9600 or 9800, but keep your hands of SE card (for example 9800SE), those are...let's say...uhm...not good^^. Right now you should be able to get a Radeon 9600 (Pro) or 9800 at quite good prices...because of the 9800XT and the upcoming X800.

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
I moved from an old Geforce 4 MX to a $100 ($70-ish USD) Radeon 9200 SE, and the difference was absoloutely remarkable. Being someone who doesn't play games too often, I feel it was one of the best upgrades I've made in recent months. When Dolphin's code becomes more stable, I'd say I'll have little trouble in appreciating the games with a sub-standard card.

emu4ever

Hello,

I Had Geforce2 GTS,

And For two mounth Ibuyed Radeon 9800 PRO!!! :alucard: And I Like it Really Great!

it have support for pixelshader 2 and 8 pipelines..~13000 points in 3d mark 2001, and ~5000 points in 3d mark 2003.... :police:

Dr.Calypso

That's a really huge upgrade you've got there^^.

I'd like to have one of these Graphic-monsters too, but right now I'm living quite a good life with my (overclocked) Radeon9500 pro. Maybe I'm going to buy me a lovely Radeon X800 in 2005.. :D .That'd be nice^^ But right now they're way to expensive:(

emu4ever

Dr.Calypso said:
That's a really huge upgrade you've got there^^.

I'd like to have one of these Graphic-monsters too, but right now I'm living quite a good life with my (overclocked) Radeon9500 pro. Maybe I'm going to buy me a lovely Radeon X800 in 2005.. :D .That'd be nice^^ But right now they're way to expensive:(

Hehe :devil: :saint:

But mine is not so expensive now, it is little bit cheap, when i was looking it it , it was really expensive as h**l :happy: :drool:

foogy

im low on doe right now so buying a radeon 9800 is ruled out. im thinking about getting a new processor, i currently have a athlon 2400+ and i want to get a newer one....im kinda waitin for amd to get to 3ghz or above, but thatll be a while. alot of people have been sayin that 3ghz will be enough to emulate the dc and gc.......

Alchy

You've got an FX 5200. The 2400XP is not the bottleneck in your system.

If I were you I'd upgrade your card ASAP...

JasonXT

Banned
Nah, don't bother upgrading your pc, do that when the games that really suck your computer dry for speed come out, like Doom III and Half Life 2, because upgrading your pc just for this is only going to give a very pitiful speed increase.

Waan2k

Emutalk Lover :)
yeah the FX 5200 is ok for games

but if you plan on playing HL 2 and DOOM 3 and what have you, you would have to run them at 800x600 with medium details.

I'm not sure how that would run, but that's what I reackon you be able to play at with them games with you current Card. :)

I upgraded from a geforce 4200 ti to a radeon 9800 pro, every game I run atm runs great.

I reackon hold off getting a new card, wait till the games come and and then deside if you need a another upgrade :)

Oh also like Dr.Calypso said about the ATI SE 9800 cards, he's right about the Perfomence of them cards.

I think the SE 9800 have 128 Bit Core thing and the pro and non pro have 256bit and more Memory Bandwith :)

Just thought I'd have my say

take it easy guys :)