What's new

Networking two PCs

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Here's my situation, we've two computers. One is for gaming, and the other one is for, well, it really isn't used now. But what I want to do with them is have both of them connected to the Internet. The type I have is Comcast High-speed and w/Cable Modem (w/out built-in router, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this. Some modems have built-in routers). What would be the best way to go? Wireless, maybe? Please help.

JinXD

Since it is only two PCs, you could just get two NICs and a crossover cable, prolly the cheapest option. Don't like wireless myself, I just use a switch and a load of cat5 cable...

Eagle

aka Alshain
JinXD said:
Since it is only two PCs, you could just get two NICs and a crossover cable, prolly the cheapest option. Don't like wireless myself, I just use a switch and a load of cat5 cable...

Yeah but crossover cables don't open much for the future and really, if you get another computer, you have to buy at least a hub anyway. Your best bet is to get a wireless router. Just look at the advantages

1. Most wireless routers have at least 4 ports for normal NIC cards.
2. Routers also have firewall protection.
3. The wireless don't cost any more than regualr routers
4. Routers are getting cheap enough that they don't cost much more than a hub or switch.
5. If a friend or family member drops by with a laptop, they can connect easily (you can set passwords of course).

We have a motorola WR850G and it has all the bells and whistles and its got a nice dynamically customizeable firmware which some *cough Linksys cough* don't have. One thing I hated about the Linksys routers is that you can only forward 10 ports, the motorola is dynamic so you can forward all you need and my house has 4 computers so we have quite a few different software applications that require it. A crossover cable is fine but really you would probably be better off shelling out the extra $20 to get the router than try to fit one of your computers with 2 nic cards, and unless you know how to make a crossover cable, a lot of places don't really carry them.

Last edited:

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I'm using wireless, and I'm not having any issues. The only *slight* problem is that it's about 50kb/s less downloading, but that's acceptable. I have 3 online right now without any problems. I'm using a Linksys Wireless-G router (along with 2 wireless-g USB card's and a basic PCI wireless card). Connecting at 54-mbps no problem. Don't listen to Eagle, Linksys isn't bad. Your choice as to what to choose, 'cause there are a lot more choices than what we've said.
- Modem

JinXD

I agree a crossover cable doesn't allow for any expansion, but since he already has onboard lan on his mobo, it really is cheap. However if he plans on expanding his network anytime in the future, investing in a router or wireless router would be worth the while.

My only concern with wireless is the lack of security, I mean sure it can have a firewall, but that isn't sufficient.

OP
dragon_rider

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
It seems that I forgot to take notice that I only need one network card, since I already have one in the other PC. I do have a built in card w/my other, but since the ethernet port is used by the modem, I'll have to buy one and some cable. I'd go wireless, but that's $80 I don't have..(I'd need two $40 802.11b cards). Unless I could plug my modem in a USB port, but it wouldn't be near as good as Ethernet, saying as Ethernet is around 100mbps.

Eagle

aka Alshain
You misunderstand, if you already have the NIC card, then buying the wireless router would allow you to use it. Wireless routers have BOTH wireless and wired capability and they don't have a large difference in price, its like getting something for nothing.

I mentioned my wireless router, it has 4 RJ-45 connectors for 10/100 BaseT ethernet communications, 1 RJ-45 connector for your modem, and 1 wireless antenna.

If your going to go with a router, get a wireless because it just doesn't make sense not to. As for security, the firewall will block anything over the wireless connection that it would block over the wired connection, its no different. Passcodes are set to prevent people you don't know from leeching your internet wirelessly. Router firewalls may not be AS secure as software firewalls but I haven't had a problem yet.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Quick check on Newegg.com

4 Port model - $47.99 USD
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-301-002&depa=0

4 Port model w/ Wireless - $58.99 USD
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-301-001&depa=0

So $10 more for wireless, very worth it if you decide to go with a router. Even if you don't have wireless capability now, you may decide to buy a laptop later.

This is all assuming your going with the router option of course. A crossover cable and a spare NIC will work just fine but I have found Internet connection sharing its not the best solution, the main reason being, the first computer on the string must be turned on for the second computer to get internet. If you reboot the first one, the second one loses its connection.

Finally we have neglected the switch/hub option. This has the advantage of being cheap, but not using Internet connection sharing. A switch is basically a router with no firewall or wireless or any of that. A hub is just not practical at all with todays costs as it is extremely inefficient and switches are cheap. You can buy a switch for the same cost as a NIC card almost so this defeats the crossover cable idea by far.

Last edited:
OP
dragon_rider

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Yeah, but wireless network cards are around $39.99 x 2 (for both PC;s) would be around $80. Then the router would be another $60 making it a total of $140. Although I'd find it rather advantagous for networking games and such. And we discussed (with my brother and my mom) that we would simply network our computers and not have two IP addresses.

Eagle

aka Alshain
dragon_rider said:
Yeah, but wireless network cards are around $39.99 x 2 (for both PC;s) would be around $80. Then the router would be another $60 making it a total of $140. Although I'd find it rather advantagous for networking games and such. And we discussed (with my brother and my mom) that we would simply network our computers and not have two IP addresses.

If you already have NIC cards then why do you need to buy wireless NIC cards? Basically what I'm saying is if you are going to spend the money to buy a router, just pay the extra $10 to get the wireless tacked on, even if you aren't going to use the wireless function right now. If you want to go cheaper get a switch instead. Its better than having to buy a new router later when you decide you want wireless. I can't help but think that you are still a bit confused. Wireless routers can use wired or wireless communication. If you get a wireless router, you do not necessarily HAVE to use a wireless NIC card, you can still use your Category 5(e) cables to connect with a normal NIC card.

Cheap Method:
Buy a 4 port switch
-With this option you get basic networking and internet sharing for all computers.

More expensive method:
Buy a 4 port wireless router
-With this option you get everything the switch offers plus a firewall and IP routing.

Other Methods
Crossover Cable: This has to have 3 nic cards for 2 computers, the "master" computer has to have 2 nic cards installed, one for ethernet from the modem, and one for output to the second computer. why not buy a switch, its about the same price as buying the 3rd NIC card and well... better because you aren't dependant on the "master" computer and you aren't hogging system resources with a 2nd nic card in the master computer.

Non-Wireless 4 port Router: you could do this but at $10 more to add wireless to it and still have the wired capability, it seems more cost effective to just get the wireless instead.

Hub: well these aren't even practical anymore, hubs cost the same as switches, but are less efficient because they can not identify which computer is requesting specific data packets so they brodcast the data packet to all the computers on the network. Switches (and routers) can identify which computer on the network made the request and send it to that computer only.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
That looks like what you need, if you need the bundled NIC, however I've never heard of Hawking so I can't vouch for the quality.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Switches won't let you share your internet connection. They network, but they don't have NAT capability built in (ie. they won't convert outside internet IP addresses to local LAN addresses). [edit] To share with this, you would have to set up your own routing software on your computer.

Routers are a switch + NAT + (implicitly) a firewall. Just buy a router.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Oh thats right, I had forgotten about that. Thanks zAlbee. When I had a switch we purchased two additional IP addresses from our ISP for $5 a month each. Obviously this is not the best option as it gets expensive over time and its better to just go with the router.

WhiteX

Eagle said:
Oh thats right, I had forgotten about that. Thanks zAlbee. When I had a switch we purchased two additional IP addresses from our ISP for $5 a month each. Obviously this is not the best option as it gets expensive over time and its better to just go with the router.

If the comp that is unused can be turned on any time the other is on, I believe he can use Windows XP native internet sharing or a free Wingate lite
license, This or i am too stupid to post in Techtalk :bye3:

OP
dragon_rider

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
Yeah, I can surf on both computers, but there's a catch. I need to have the other PC installed with Max Protect (a suprisingly flexible, yet very powerful filter). One problem, I can't find the key code number required to activate it. Where can I get a (legal) replacement key code?

smcd

If you purchased it, you could try calling the company and giving the information you used to buy it (name, cc#, email, etc.) and perhaps they'll be generous and give you another. If not... looks like you'd be out of luck

Eagle

aka Alshain
WhiteX said:
If the comp that is unused can be turned on any time the other is on, I believe he can use Windows XP native internet sharing or a free Wingate lite
license, This or i am too stupid to post in Techtalk :bye3:

Yeah he could do that, but it has the same problems as the crossover cable. The computer must be on and its not very efficient. Internet speeds would lag on the second machine.

WhiteX

Eagle said:
Yeah he could do that, but it has the same problems as the crossover cable. The computer must be on and its not very efficient. Internet speeds would lag on the second machine.

Yes, but it is a cheap solution until he manages to gather the money to the better ones.