What's new

NeoGeo Emulation Help Needed Plz

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Reznor007 said:

And umm...MAME supports over 3,200 games, Nebula around 200-300.

DUH?! MAME = supports many arcade systems. Nebula = supports CPS2, CPS1 and Neo-Geo. Conclusion = Nebula supports less games, because it supports less systems. I was talking about NG games, should`ve made that clear.

Now, about flickering : don`t know if you ever played an NG game at an arcade, but you don`t see the flickering at the arcade machine, because it flickers too fast. Same thing about CPS2 games as well. Now, NG emu`s weren`t able to simulate the fast flickering effect, and that`s why SEEING flickering in NG emus IS a bug. That`s why MHZ and Elsemi each did some kind of a frame blend blitter to work around it.

Reznor007

Oleg Zaks said:
Now, about flickering : don`t know if you ever played an NG game at an arcade, but you don`t see the flickering at the arcade machine, because it flickers too fast. Same thing about CPS2 games as well. Now, NG emu`s weren`t able to simulate the fast flickering effect, and that`s why SEEING flickering in NG emus IS a bug. That`s why MHZ and Elsemi each did some kind of a frame blend blitter to work around it.

No, I work part time(secondary job) at an arcade that has Metal Slug 1 and Samurai Shodown, you can still see the flickering. Why would an emulator have a problem displaying the flickering shadow? It's just a black sprite that is only shown every other frame. MAME is 100% accurate in how it draws the shadow. The problem is that you are displaying the game on a non-interlaced display. The game was designed for an interlaced arcade monitor. It hides the effect fairly well, and looks almost like a true alpha blended shadow(you can still easily tell it's not though). If you use MAME on a real arcade monitor or TV, it will look exactly like the original. MHz and Elsemi's effects try to simulate that effect, but actually go over and beyond what a real arcade monitor would do. They truly blend the sprite, which is something NeoGeo can't do.

D

DuDe_

I`ve never seen flickering... That is, never seen it in Garou and SS4.

D

DuDe_

Reznor007 said:

. The problem is that you are displaying the game on a non-interlaced display. The game was designed for an interlaced arcade monitor. It hides the effect fairly well, and looks almost like a true alpha blended shadow(you can still easily tell it's not though). If you use MAME on a real arcade monitor or TV, it will look exactly like the original.

You got a point dude, my mistake...
But anyway, I still prefer Nebula over MAME. I didn`t like MAME since I first used it on my old ghetto pc, and I don`t use it for NG purposes since. Prejudice as some might say.

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
EdgeBlade said:
What is a good frontend for MAME, I tried one but it didn't work.
dont use a frontend, download The Fucking Rabbit's version of mame32 (222). you can download it at The Fucking Rabbit's homwpage or at
http://www.kaillera.com
its the best mame trust me. it also lets you overclock every game, so neogeo games like mslug & mslug2 wont ever slow down. pretty nifty

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
i do preffer Nebula for my cps1-2, & neogeo because it eats up less cpu% than mame when using system memery. tho i really dont dig the transparencies anymore (got tired of 'em), i think all the blitters nebula offers are real nice (tho i dont use them offten) . i get best results by just stretching the grafices max and using system memery (so it dont look blurry).

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
B*A*G*G said:
its the best mame trust me. it also lets you overclock every game, so neogeo games like mslug & mslug2 wont ever slow down. pretty nifty

not overclock(ya hardware fr33k), frameskip. frameskip is available in many versions of mame. but i still agree with BAGG, MAME32k is great.

/me finally realizes this forum's title changed to "Other Emulation Discussion"

Reznor007

pj64er said:

not overclock(ya hardware fr33k), frameskip. frameskip is available in many versions of mame. but i still agree with BAGG, MAME32k is great.

Actually it is overclock. He means setting the NeoGeo's CPU's to run at 2x speed, which stops the slow down in the game that happen on the real hardware.

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
yes, if you want to overclock ANY game on mame32k just press ~ while playing to bring up the volume menu and hit up a couple times till the "overclock" setting comes up. you can overclock any game in real time "right before your eyes" !!!

if you ever play games like DoDonPachi or GunForce 2 you can acully notice less slowdown as you overclock it more. or you can even underclock the game till it comes to a hault.
some emulators like Nebula v1.95 (couldnt get it to work with Nebula 2.0) you can overclock NeoGeo games up to 2x but not cps2 games like you can with mame32k (but cps2 games really dont need overclocking, only a few do).

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
pj64er said:

i never use frameskipping. i rather it run slow than skip frames