What's new

Neo Geo and XP

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Now this topic is up, I'd like to state one thing that NeoRAGEx has that MAME has never had. Redefiniable controls. I can't find any in MAME and it stops me from using it if there's any alternative at all.

Also, NeoRAGEx is fast (has a fast, zero-blur smoothing filter before anyone ever heard the word 'KScale') and has accurate sound (I swear NeoRAGEx sounds more like a real machine than anyone else).

This all seems very much like the UltraHLE discussion. It's old, it's been surpassed, the authors said not to pirate it before they vanished all those years ago. Is it worth hacking? No, not that there's this... wait, you mean they haven't made an official build that works with Windows XP? Well it is worth hacking then! ktnx bye...

Stezo2k

S-2K
heh thats exactly how i feel :) come to think of it its kinda like ultraHLE, but for neogeo roms and better compatability :)

Stez

Reznor007

Lillymon said:
Now this topic is up, I'd like to state one thing that NeoRAGEx has that MAME has never had. Redefiniable controls. I can't find any in MAME and it stops me from using it if there's any alternative at all.

Also, NeoRAGEx is fast (has a fast, zero-blur smoothing filter before anyone ever heard the word 'KScale') and has accurate sound (I swear NeoRAGEx sounds more like a real machine than anyone else).

This all seems very much like the UltraHLE discussion. It's old, it's been surpassed, the authors said not to pirate it before they vanished all those years ago. Is it worth hacking? No, not that there's this... wait, you mean they haven't made an official build that works with Windows XP? Well it is worth hacking then! ktnx bye...

MAME will support any controller than is supported in Windows(and has for several years). Just press Tab while in-game. Reading the manual usually helps in instances like this.

And NRX sounds very FAR from the real NeoGeo. I work as an arcade tech part time and we have a NeoGeo.

Reznor007

Stezo2k said:
heh thats exactly how i feel :) come to think of it its kinda like ultraHLE, but for neogeo roms and better compatability :)

Stez

NRX has better compatibility? No way. MAME supports EVERY NeoGeo game(correctly, not hacked), works on just about every OS ever created, and does not arbitrarily overclock games.

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
neorageX is an awsome emulator if your systems really old and out of date (ive seen it emulate mslug3 at full speed on a Celeron 200Mhz)
but if you got a pretty good system then you might as well use MAME and Nebula.
if your having problems with blurry graphics on MAME or Nebula then switch your surface allocation to "system memery".

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Reznor007 said:
MAME will support any controller than is supported in Windows(and has for several years). Just press Tab while in-game. Reading the manual usually helps in instances like this.
No, redefinable. Redefinable. Show me how to map the controls to specific keys or buttons.

Reznor007 said:
And NRX sounds very FAR from the real NeoGeo. I work as an arcade tech part time and we have a NeoGeo.
OK, my memories of Neo Geo sound may be a little blurred. But I still prefer NeoRAGEx's sound on most stuff which is what really matters.

Reznor007

Lillymon said:
Reznor007 said:
No, redefinable. Redefinable. Show me how to map the controls to specific keys or buttons.

Reznor007 said:
OK, my memories of Neo Geo sound may be a little blurred. But I still prefer NeoRAGEx's sound on most stuff which is what really matters.

In the game you want to set the controls for, press the Tab key, this will bring up the menu. From there go to "Input (this game)". It will give a list of several buttons(P1 left, P1 right, P1 button 1, and so on) select which button you want to set, press Enter, and then press the key you want to use for that button. Repeat as necessary. There is also a "Input (default)" selection, which allows you to set a default(gee how hard was that?) control scheme for all games.

If you want to use a game controller/pad/whatever be sure to set joystick=1 in mame.ini or check the enable joystick button in MAME32.

As a side note, MAME supports everything from keyboard/mouse, to PC gamepads, REAL arcade controls, trackballs, and even true lightguns.

Again, reading the manual would have saved me from typing this :)

And the sound core in NRX is REALLY bad. Listen to the intro of Shock Troopers Second Squad in both NRX and MAME .61 to compare. Graphic wise, look at the first level of Metal Slug 2/X, with the desert hills background. In NRX it will be stationary, but in MAME it will have a wavy motion, which is how it is supposed to be.