What's new

Nemu Rocks (see why)

ModelingMan

ozzie12 Posted On May 7th 2004 @ 19:27 said:
I would think that due to the similarity between GTA3 and Vice City, as well as the similarity between the Midget and Mario, this would actually be a very do-able project.

I will try to find the mod and hopefully get it working in vice City- if we want to continue this project.
When it comes to player models there is no similarity. GTA3 uses body parts like Shead, Storso and so on, whereas Vice City uses one whole mesh with bone data.

It is not possible to insert a new player model into Vice City thats physic doesn't match Tommy Vercetti, well it's possible but the model doesn't look right.

Gorgy Posted Yesterday @ 20:56 said:
Looks like a cool project!

BTW: Ozzie, could you briefly tell the process of UVW-unwrapping for VRML, cause if I apply those textures, they`re all messed up and I can`t seem to change it in these .wrl`s.... Sorry for disturbing you again :(
I know what you mean, I had to retexture that Mario model in Zmodeler.

Federelli Posted Yesterday @ 23:48 said:
That mario Model looks way more like the Super Smash Brothers version rather than the Super Mario 64....
Well I don't have the Super Smash Bros. Rom, you probanly think that because I had to retexture him.

OP
ozzie12

ozzie12

I didn't know that Modelingman. I never really bothered I guess.
Looks like that project is scrapped. Unless you imported a fully proportional Mario . . . but that would take the fun out of it.

- About Unwrap UVW--this might be a long one. (Editing textures for a VRML model would be the same as any other model, so i would think.) -

(see * at bottom before confusing yourself more)

The basics of Unwrapping:

We'll take a cone, for example.

Radius 1: 5'
R2: 0'
Height: 4'
Height Segs: 1
Cap Segs: 1
Sides: 8

Convert to editable mesh, and weld the vertices that make up the top point.

Apply a material to the cone, preferably a Checker diffuse map for simplicity.
Turn on 'Show Map in Viewport' so you can see it directly.

Add an Unwrap UVW modifier and under 'Parameters' choose 'Edit'.

You should see a large triangle separated into 8 smaller triangles.
Then in the menu of the Edit UVW box choose 'Mapping' then 'Unfold Mapping'.

You should see the 8 faces that make up the lateral section of the cone and the octagon that forms the base of the cone. Underneath you will see the checker pattern.

Changing the vertices in the Editing window will not change the model itself, but the mapping. Scale the whole selection until it is about the size of the visible texture pattern, and notice how the mapping of the cone changes. Experiment. It's hard to explain how it works, but basically as you change the vertices in the EditUVWs box the 'real' model takes the mapping underneath the pattern and applies it proportionally. (if that made no sense - and I know it didn't - don't worry. Go through the help files, they probably explain it better).

So for example when I was applying the ticked textures onto the part of the clock tower that seems to denominate seconds (the ring thing around the outside of the face of the clock) I would take the faces and in the EditUVWs window strech the vertices into the shape of the rectangular texture, helping the textures to nicely stretch over and (more or less) seamlessly blend with the next one.

(I also apologize if that made no sense either - I am no good at explaining these things.)

*By the way Gorgy - have you tried simply using a 'UVW Mapping' modifier instead? I am not sure about the model, but that would be much, much easier (if you haven't tried that, then that is probably the answer. I used it many times for the stone of the clock tower, as well as the actual face of the clock). If this doesn't work or doesn't do the job, then try to figure out UVW mapping.

Sorry if I made you more confused.

btw I don't mind these sort of questions one bit
good luck with all of this

ozzie12

Gorgy

Thanks for your help, ozzie!

And, yet another question, how must I do that on levels? Cause they`re distored as well, but UVW-unwrapping would be a bad choice there ;). The only way to let them show themselves is to check Face Mapping, but the textures are wrong :(. Any suggestions?