What's new

Need PJ64 help! (hardware 3D accelerator)

PyroManiaK7289

hey, can anyone help me with this PJ64 problem?
i get that problem where it says
(Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device. Make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0)
I read the Troubleshooting manual and it asked...
"Do you have a hardware 3D accelerator?"
im not sure if i have it.

how do i find out if i have a hardware 3D accelerator?
and if i dont how can i get one?

thanks

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Run dxdiag. Go to the Display tab, and post the info that's listed under Device.

DxDiag also tells you what DirectX version you have on the first page, post that too.

OP
P

PyroManiaK7289

hey
i have version 9.0b
on the display tap under DirectX Features, Direct3D Acceleration states
(Not Availible)
also under notes it says
(Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.)

i guess i dont have it
how could i get it?

Last edited:

Agozer

It's should list the name, manufacturer etc. of your display deivce in the Display tab. What does it say besides Direct3D Acceleration not available?

In any case, if all Direct3D features are disabled, no application that displays 3D graphics will work.

Agozer

Point 1) The card doesn't work with DírectX9. Hard to fix, since you already have DX9, and you can't really uninstall or downgrade DirectX.
Point 2) Let's say that I'm mistaken about Point 1). Your video card drivers are most likely broken and/or you've never updated them.
Point 3) Even if the card would work, it wouldn't work with the current set of graphics plugins. You would need a wrapper.

Last edited:
OP
P

PyroManiaK7289

well thanks for the info
do u have any suggestions on what to do?

PJ64 has worked before i got the hardrive wiped with the same video card

Last edited:

Agozer

Well, here's the latest Forceware drives for Windows XP / 2000.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Install them and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, you are screwed; Either find a DirectX uninstaller or format your computer.

Note: The few DirectX uninstallers that are floating around the net are not made by Microsoft and can mess up your system pretty badly if something goes wrong. But it's the only way of getting DiretX off your system... besides formatting.

OP
P

PyroManiaK7289

ill try updateing the driver
thanks for ur time

why do you think it worked fine before i got the hardrive wiped clean?
which graphis driver do you suggest?

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Agozer said:
Well, here's the latest Forceware drives for Windows XP / 2000.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Install them and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, you are screwed; Either find a DirectX uninstaller or format your computer.

Note: The few DirectX uninstallers that are floating around the net are not made by Microsoft and can mess up your system pretty badly if something goes wrong. But it's the only way of getting DiretX off your system... besides formatting.
Dude, just because a card doesn't support DX9 doesn't mean it won't run when it is installed. If it doesn't support DX9, it means that the card cannot handle all the features that DX9 offers. But DirectX is backwards compabitble, so upgrading to the newest version newer messes something up.

You can also use system restore to remove a DirectX installation, as recommended by Microsoft.

Agozer

Doomulation said:
Dude, just because a card doesn't support DX9 doesn't mean it won't run when it is installed. If it doesn't support DX9, it means that the card cannot handle all the features that DX9 offers. But DirectX is backwards compabitble, so upgrading to the newest version newer messes something up.
Hence why I said: "Let's say that I'm mistaken about Point 1)". Anyway, at least you corraborated my suspicions. It would be stupid if DirectX wouldn't be backwards compatible.

rockofdeath42

My evil rock will kill you all
The Omega Drivers. www.omegadrivers.net.

The Omega Drivers are custom-hacked drivers that are optimised for performance and quality. They are MUCH more advanced than the regular drivers. The Omega Drivers are for nVidia, ATi, and 3dfx users, although you will have the best results with ATi.