What's new

Need Perfect Perfect Dark config

NethernyC

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there running a Radeon 9550 and pj64 might have already gone through all the tearing-your-hair-out, trial-and-error type stuff trying to make Perfect Dark run with no problems, and maybe they would share with us exactly what plugins and settings they are using? I've only been at this a couple days (got tired of my N64 freezing up), and I had PD running pretty good, but then it (guess what?) freezes up! Argh.
I had pj64 going,
Azimer's Audio 0.56 WIP1
Hacktorux's / Azimer's HLE RSP plugin
All rom settings to default
I actually saw that set-up on here in some thread. Guess I'll keep trying different stuff.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
pls turn around, and go down the hall... look for a door named search and ask the lady in there for info regarding perfect dark, and its performance and graphic problems

OP
N

NethernyC

Hi! Thanks for the personal response, so far I have it running really good, the only thing I still need to work out is the sound is fluttery. Below is the setup I have going now, in case you would like to try to duplicate it. I actually find that the game runs TOO fast, and have to use the - button to slow it down, usually hitting it 3 times lol.

emulator: 1964_099
rom: perfect dark (U) (v1.1)
Video plugin: Jabo's direct3D8 1.6
Audio plugin: Azimer's HLE Audio v0.56 WIP2
Input plugin: Jabo's Direct input7 1.6
RSP plugin: RSP emulation plugin (although I do have Hacktarux/Azimer's hle rsp plugin)

Resolution: just running it in 640X480, 16bit, 60Hz
everything unchecked in the settings. I could probably run it larger. I think I tried it at 800X600 60Hz last night with no problems.

Controller: Sidewinder 1.0 gamepad (LOL)
Dead Zone: 0 (all the way left)
Analog Stick:
L-joy left
R-joy right
U-joy up
D-joy down
Range 57% (otherwise I turn too fast to aim well)

Buttons:
A-joypad 0 (A)
B-joypad 1 (B)
S-joypad 9 (start)
L-joypad 6 (L trigger) (like the left "shoulder button" on N64 controller)
R-NUM 8 (like the right "shoulder button" on N64 controller)
Z-joypad 7 (R trigger)

C-Buttons:
L-joypad 5 (Z)
R-joypad 2 (C)
U-home
D-End

Digital:
L-NUM 4
R-NUM 6
U-joypad 4 (X)
D-joypad 3 (Y)

This controller setup gets you pretty close to the N64 controller while only having 1 directional input. You can strafe to the left, (the Z button) and right with the C button right under it. You shoot with the right trigger, which feels natural. To aim with crosshairs, just squeeze the left trigger, although it's kinda squirelly because the Sidewinder's D-pad is so sensitive and has a tiny little axis.

As soon as you see the Rare logo press start. If you wait til the Intro sequence to press start, it might freeze up. Other than the sound being fluttery and the occasional choppiness when explosions are going off, it is running pretty darn good lol.

Last edited: