What's new

Need help, same problem.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Here is the entire up to date information on the problem.

Problem: When I try to boot up I get one long beep, two short beeps, one beep at a lower tone, and one beep at an even lower tone. Then the computer locks, I cant get to the bios. I'm using an ASUS P3V4X mainboard.

Other Information:
1. Occasionally it will boot to the bios and when it does it says the system hung due to an improper CPU frequency setting. (The settings are correct of course)
2. When it does boot to the bios, even more rarely, I can save and exit without changing anything and it will boot to Windows.
3. Sometimes when I start the computer, the Video Card fan has trouble spinning, not like its obstructed but more like its not recieving enough power to turn. But other fans appear to be running ok, I cant measure their speed though
4. On the rare occasion I do get it to boot up to windows, Asus probe reports no waver or variance in any fan or voltage or temperature that it is capable of mointoring.

Failed Solution Attempts:
1. I have tried cleaning EVERY slot including AGP, PCI, ISA, Memory, Slot 1 with the compressed air, and have used the 91% alchohol to clean the leads of all the expansion cards, video card, Slocket card, and memory.
2. I have unplugged everything except the bare minimum (Vid Card, CPU, One stick of memory, motherboard, PSU) and still get the same post beep followed by a repetative high pitched beep.
3. While the minimum components were in the machine I switched the Geforce 3 with an old Intel i810 card I had lying around.
4. While using the minimum componnents, I switched the P3 1000Mhz CPU with an old P2 350Mhz I had lying around.
5. While using the minimum componnents, I switched the memory chips. (Note: both memory chips were in the system when the problem began.)
6. The thing I have not tried switching is the PSU or the Motherboard (because I dont have another to try it with.)

Conclusion: The PSU is bad and not sending enough power to the motherboard. Or the AGP slot is bad. Or possibly both memory chips are bad.

The other fans appear to be working so it doesnt seem like it would be the PSU, but the local hardware store tells me its unlikely that an AGP slot would go bad before a CPU slot or a memory slot or not at the same time as one of them.

What I need to know is, where could the problem be? The motherboard, the PSU, or something I havent tried? This is really driving me up the wall trying to figure it out.

vileP

First thing that I would do would to update the BIOS, if it has an update or not. Second, how many fans do you have, and what is the wattage of the PSU?
From all the information you're giving, it sounds more like a bad PSU than a bad motherboard.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
The case is cool enough, Its been running for a year with no problems and no component upgrades, the last the I added was a Geforce 3 about a year ago. The wattage may be low its 250 but like I said, a year with no changes and I even took out my second CD-Rom and HD to allow for more voltage to the important stuff. Finally, I cant update the bios, cause I usually cant even get to the bios, and if I do manage to get to the bios, once I exit, it restarts and wont boot again. Very very rarely can I get it to boot from the floppy or hard drive and when I do I dont dare turn it off unless I absolutely have to. I'm glad you think it may be the PSU, because I just ordered a 480W PSU with Noise killer.

vileP

The reason I think it's the PSU is that i had similar problems that you had with a PSU @ 250W. Every single thing that was not related to overclocking could be traced back to the PSU, like the infinite-loop problems on XP and devices not working in XP. With a 350W PSU, all my problems have gone away, minus all overclocking problems.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
vileP said:
The reason I think it's the PSU is that i had similar problems that you had with a PSU @ 250W. Every single thing that was not related to overclocking could be traced back to the PSU, like the infinite-loop problems on XP and devices not working in XP. With a 350W PSU, all my problems have gone away, minus all overclocking problems.

Well, I can only hope your right and wait for my PSU to get here.