What's new

Need Advice - Setting up a N64 LAN

Gox777

Here's my goal: Set up a 4 player N64 LAN for a local game center with good performance for a good price. The outcome of this is providing players with individual screens to play multiplayer games like Goldeneye, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart, etc...

I've been doing some research and it looks like there are two big questions I need to answer.

1. What specs will each system have? Considering that these systems would be dedicated to only running N64 emulators, how can I get the best bang for my buck hardware-wise?

2. Which emulator will these systems run? Netplay is a necessity, but finding a solution that works on linux is almost as important (wouldn't want to waste money putting windows on all the machines). It sounds like Mupen would be great, but it doesn't support netplay yet, does it? Maybe PJ64 or 1964 with WINE? Would there be too much inefficiency with WINE? I want to keep frame rates high.

I'd really appreciate any input from those of you who have experience setting up N64 LANs. Thanks.

jim0_0

If you want to use Linux you're screwed. As far as I know the best N64 Emu for Linux is Mupen64Plus and that doesn't support netplay... yet.

Are you planning on running this in a LAN games cafe type thing or is this just for home? Because I'm pretty sure running N64 ROMs is illegal unless you dumped them your self.

And good luck!

Edit: Doh! Just realized the OP made this thread on Feb 5th.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Heres another solution, buy a huge monitor and 4 control pads.

Then play all around the same computer.

N64 will always be splitscreen, I can understand over the internet but a LAN would be in essence: pointless (why? because you still have to stare at one corner of the screen and games are designed to work off of one screen). Just play on one system with a large enough monitor, that will not only be cheaper but also easier to setup. plus it will be way more stable because netplay always has the chance to de-sync even on a LAN.

Last edited: