What's new

N64 specs??

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes, very good question, azimer. The answer is that the compiler of c++ is very type-strict, so missing something like "const" will make an error, which is good, but is confusing to n00bs. This is one thing that isn't in vb.
And i find vb's gui-making LOT easier.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
A n00b should NOT make an N64 emulator in the first place. I guess they could always cOdecOpi :D

icepir8

I have used VB to write CGI programs and System Services. Using the avilible addons, it is amazing what can be done in VB.As far as IDEs go VB is better then VC++ anyday. Also I never have had VB's lock up while debuging a program.

VB is like riding a bike with training wheels on compared to VC++ like riding a motorcycle with no hement. One is safe and steady but at the cost of functionality, the other is speed and power at the cost of really difficult to find bugs.

They both have their uses.

I like both, but for different things.

Cyberman

Doomulation
Yes, very good question, azimer. The answer is that the compiler of c++ is very type-strict, so missing something like "const" will make an error, which is good, but is confusing to n00bs. This is one thing that isn't in vb.
And i find vb's gui-making LOT easier.
Well this is why I use BCB.. you get both without the PITA Microsoft developement environment. It does have some anoying bugs though (BCB). You have to workaround MS's non conformence to there own standards often as well. However.. so far I've been able to slap together a GUI based app as fast as I would in VB.

As for C++ strictness for types Umm bad news for you Doom.. it's a DAMN good thing for nOOb's the most common error for someone who is a neophyte is not paying attention to the types. Vb hides much of this at the cost of some anoying BS happening when you least expect it. Type strict is a good thing. Saved my behind many times ;)

I use VB for emulating simple things such as serial protocols and status information. It does a bad job but finding a windows compatible serial library was never high priority for BCB. Seems to be something good though to do in activeX ... however I've learned that activeX is not a panacea ;)

Cyb

Doomulation

Yes, VB hides many things, thus making it really easy. However, it is at cost of speed and to find bugs.
For example, local objects in c++ ALWAYS get destructed when reaching the end of a function. Even if a reference is put to it.
However, in vb, it is destructed ONLY if there is no reference to it. Local objects and/or variables always remain until the references to it are gone. Then it will destruct...very easy to cause memory leaks here :(

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Using out-of-scope references on local automatic memory is very bad programming practice anyway. It is bad to use heap memory this way as well. It is prone to memory loss. (About the same as the programmer who accomplished it). Heap memory should always have one static reference to free up the memory when it is no longer needed.

Doomulation said:
Yes, VB hides many things, thus making it really easy. However, it is at cost of speed and to find bugs.
For example, local objects in c++ ALWAYS get destructed when reaching the end of a function. Even if a reference is put to it.
However, in vb, it is destructed ONLY if there is no reference to it. Local objects and/or variables always remain until the references to it are gone. Then it will destruct...very easy to cause memory leaks here :(

Doomulation

Well, i didn't design vb :D
They just made it that way so it should be easy. Yes, vb may be somewhat powerful, but it does bad stuff like that...