What's new

N64 Rom hacking

TRS

In all Zelda games (OOT, OOT MQ and MM) text is not compressed and can be edited with just a plain hex-editor.

For all I know these are the only N64-games wich can be edited this way.

Greetings,

TRS

OP
N

norwaynoob

TRS said:
In all Zelda games (OOT, OOT MQ and MM) text is not compressed and can be edited with just a plain hex-editor.

For all I know these are the only N64-games wich can be edited this way.

Greetings,

TRS

You gotta be kidding? It really is THAT easy? :happy:
I'M STUUUUUPIIID!!!! :yucky:

I was thinking about messing a bit with Majora's Mask..
So any HEX editor will do?

Cyberman

norwaynoob said:
You gotta be kidding? It really is THAT easy? :happy:
I'M STUUUUUPIIID!!!! :yucky:

I was thinking about messing a bit with Majora's Mask..
So any HEX editor will do?
Are you planing a translation? Or just twiddling with the text?

Cyb

Cyberman

norwaynoob said:
first, just twiddling, then, maybe I'll translate it into something. :p
Oh no Supermario 64 is all in leet speak suddenly :D or worse Zelda Majora's mask.

Cyb

OP
N

norwaynoob

Cyberman said:
Oh no Supermario 64 is all in leet speak suddenly :D or worse Zelda Majora's mask.

Cyb

SM64 i|\| /_337 /_4|\|6u4g3, \/3/2Y 1|\|73/23571|\|6... :p
In English:
SM64 in leet language, very interesting. :happy:

Cyberman

norwaynoob said:
SM64 i|\| /_337 /_4|\|6u4g3, \/3/2Y 1|\|73/23571|\|6... :p
In English:
SM64 in leet language, very interesting. :happy:
AT least it didn't say "All Your base belong to us."

Cyb

R-II

I don't know about other games, but in Paper Mario text is basicly uncompressed ASCII, but with a shifted and rearranged character mapping. Sprinkled throughout the text are many effect codes and such, which control everything related to text and text bubbles.

OP
N

norwaynoob

Cyberman said:
AT least it didn't say "All Your base belong to us."
Cyb

Bweh heh heh heh.

R-II said:
I don't know about other games, but in Paper Mario text is basicly uncompressed ASCII, but with a shifted and rearranged character mapping. Sprinkled throughout the text are many effect codes and such, which control everything related to text and text bubbles.

Well, if the characters are rearranged, it's no help at all...

Cyberman

norwaynoob said:
Well, if the characters are rearranged, it's no help at all...
FF7 encodes it's text into the script system. All the strings are burried in whatever encoding system they used for that particular language, the encoding system hinges on the script codes. So for example 'set window @ X, Y with W H size' then the code for the 'character' speaking appears <IE Cloud Tifa Cid Barret et al> then codes for the text it'self. It included an <end of text> code as well. You may want to look for N64 cheats in particular look for Name changing this sometimes can give you a clue on text encoding. The next possibility is to find groups of symbols in the game. IE write down text that appears in the game. Look for words that have two letters in a row. This should have two symbols that are the same in the ROM.

The unfortunate reality is that it may take work to find out what the encoding scheme is.

Life goes on.

Cyb

OP
N

norwaynoob

Cyberman said:
FF7 encodes it's text into the script system. All the strings are burried in whatever encoding system they used for that particular language, the encoding system hinges on the script codes. So for example 'set window @ X, Y with W H size' then the code for the 'character' speaking appears <IE Cloud Tifa Cid Barret et al> then codes for the text it'self. It included an <end of text> code as well. You may want to look for N64 cheats in particular look for Name changing this sometimes can give you a clue on text encoding. The next possibility is to find groups of symbols in the game. IE write down text that appears in the game. Look for words that have two letters in a row. This should have two symbols that are the same in the ROM.

The unfortunate reality is that it may take work to find out what the encoding scheme is.

Life goes on.

Cyb

Hmm. Complicated. Too Complicated. FAR TOO COMPLICATED. GAH. :yucky:
Thx anyways.

Cyberman

norwaynoob said:
Hmm. Complicated. Too Complicated. FAR TOO COMPLICATED. GAH. :yucky:
Thx anyways.
If you are waiting for an easy way... forget it.
If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
There are no easy ways to do these things. Just knuckle down and take a few hours looking at the data. I never expected FF7 to be easy, and it sure as heck isn't! (First it's compressed second it's encoded you do the math :) ).

In the mean time I must finish the battle scene viewer for FF7 I'm working on.

Cyb

aidynphoenix

aidynphoenixhotmail.com
well i got a question it is kinda related well does a n64 rom like aidyn chronicles the first mage have all the games music and sound files along with textures in it? and if it does how can i get em out of the file and dont please say sound recorder lol cause i got permission to copy a sound file out of aidyn chronicles. and no other sites have posted sound files

bcrew1375

Of course everything is in the ROM. Where else would it get its data from :p. I'm not familiar with the layout of N64 Roms. The sound could be compressed, it could be in an uncommon format. I guess you could start by finding some info on the N64 ROM layout and find out which areas it couldn't be. I don't know if N64 ROMs have an area layed aside for data or not. If the data is mixed in with the code, it'll probably be a whole lot harder.

Jesterhead

For the Music you can search for the USF-Project, there is a Winamp-Plugin who can play ripped music from a N64 Rom, i think Zophars Domain has some Tracks, also other pages have those usf-files.

-Edit-

And for Textures you can use latest Rice´s Plugin, which can save Textures from games (see 1964-Forum, then Sub-Forum "Hi-Res Projects")