What's new

N64 Online

EnVyXFR

I was just thinking... if Project64 integraded Kaillera support, that would be awesome. Playing Goldeneye with 4 players over the internet would rock.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
That's probably not going to happen :(
Unless someone makes pj 1.6, and the fact that the 1.5 source is not open! :cry:

neoak

Triforce of Something...
Maybe the Net support can be in form of a Controller plugin.

You see, the first player is me (example), the second Doomulation, the third gokuss4, and the last one, but not less important Bill Fleming (Of course i'd win this) :p ;)

The plugin search the ip's and what it does? Transmit over internet the controller information (button pressing, movement, etc.)

Although, i don't think 250 ms is fast enough.

This could be the only way to do it in PJ64, as 1.5 source is closed
<_<

What do you think? (About the plugin, not the game results! :saint: )

Plisco

Sevillian
Is'nt it possible to play pj64 online through the NooTe DI input plugin

Has anyone who has done this had any success?????

supergamer

Banned
One big problem. You've got still the split-screen! Maybe some people has to be nice and create a patch for some games...

GE Master

my 2 cents

Well I've just recently talked with Rice (1964) about this very topic. He had in the past worked on this aspect of emulation. He states that high framerate online multiplayer IS possible. Someone has to do it. That couldn't be me, I don't have the chops. I can only say that whoever does goes through with this, it would be the single greatest achievement in emulation as I see it. Historical and an instant legend. Playing GoldenEye and Perfect Dark online, against the world is where my head is at. In fact these games still have a following.

As far as split screen multiplayer, that is what these games were designed for. Well, maybe not so much PD but GE is a split screen game all the way. I was also told that no such plug in could ever split the multiplayer so that one player could view just a single screen like in the PC shooter world. That sucks, but online GE is just as good if not better. The best game could remain with an online element added. Oh man, add all the gameshark codes, and you've got GoldenEye x10. I see it as GoldenEye-the next generation.

Fox

Born to play
I don't understand what your saying. Rice will tell you that online goldeneye is possible because the 1964 team has done it. If you want to play PD, GE or whatever then arrange to meet a friend, fire up 1964 and choose netplay.

The framerate aspect itself is fine unless your on dial-up which was to be expected anyway.

If your talking about a generic built-in multiplayer function for PJ64 then that indeed would be a massive undertaking and largely unnecessary. You would simply be trying to write independant code which kaillera (sp) would provide for you anyway.

I agree that I would like to see this function added, however all your excitement about online Goldeneye is possible already, so why not just use 1964.

GE Master

Well this 1964 online play can't be all that great since Rice himself was talking to me about his uncompleted online project. Maybe online is possible, but he was talking about high framerate multiplayer. Online play that is the same as facing off on the same console. That is obviously what he is talking about since of course 1964 does have online support. Online support at this point, according to Rice, isn't as good as a could or should be. He says, it IS possible, someone has to do it. He hasn't the time to work on it.

In summary, current online play has much room for improvement. The reality is at some point, there will be high framerate online multiplayer GoldenEye.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Talking to quite a few people:
i have found that the main reason to have Pj64 to play Golden Eye online is because Pj64 has the correct code Types for the GS/AR but can allow so many codes (cheats) to be activate that they could play new hacked areas in multi games.

But realistically, I personally can not see this option in the near future

Last edited:

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
The Gentleman said:
Talking to quite a few people:
i have found that the main reason to have Pj64 to play Golden Eye online is because Pj64 has the correct code Types for the GS/AR but can allow so many codes (cheats) to be activate that they could play new hacked areas in multi games.

But realistically, I personally can not see this option in the near future

:/ ... i see iwasn't the only one to mention this (though i that pj64 would be great online) looks like it won't happen ... well anytime soon anyway.