What's new

N64 Glide Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
You are correct about w before transformation. Your question about dividing by w or z is a good question. I believe you divide ALL points by w before you scale using z. It's been a helluva long time since I did software rendering.

OP
Dave2001

Dave2001

This looks good... I got my first wireframes showing just a few minutes ago, after about 7 hours of fooling with the matrices. Mario 64 is now playable (I beat first level with it).

There were several problems with my matrices:
* I didn't multiply them properly (forgot it was different than adding, then remembered later)
********* It was setting the decimal part of the float to the exact same thing as the integer part of the float (typo), which made it only work for identity matrix projections.
* You do actually divide by z, not w

I'm not going to show anything yet though, because I have some drawing problems I have to work out. It needs a Z-buffer, clipping (it only draws triangles that are all the way on the screen), and also it draws what's behind the camera instead of in front of it (I did some really weird shift and it looked right, but I know it isn't because the Mario64 logo comes forward through you)

Slougi

Now, now, we don't want to push him do we? ;)
He'll make the file available when he feels it' ready :p
Oh and leave this thread alone; don't clutter it with stuff. There is the other thread in talk of the town for speculations and other stuff :)
:alien:

gokuss4

Meh...
lol i already have it :p it looks good although the super mario 64 logo at the start goes forward instead of backwards after mario says "it's a me, Mario!"

OP
Dave2001

Dave2001

I'll post it tomorrow, after I've implemented clipping (it would be a lot easier if the objects around you didn't disappear when they touch the edge of the screen).

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a list of which games have what ucodes? The only ucode 0 game I know of is Mario 64.

euphoria

Emutalk Member
Well congratulations to you Dave2001 (a year late?). I'm making a glide plugin aswell. Are you one of the guys who started this glide project couple months back when this forums was still on emulation64.com? I've too banged my head against a wall with those matrices. Good luck with your plugin! it's still a long way to go... btw. i found that using debug screen activated ultrahle to print out dlist info is quite convenient - as it shows the right matrices and vertices ;)
cheers!

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Many demos use that uCode also. SF Rush is the only other game I can think of off hand. You are best off with Mario64 and Demos.

Eddy

I Run This
euphoria and dave. i again congratulate both of you, ima start picking up d3d coding and see if i can tryt o od a d3d plugin down the year.

Cyberman

Woa.. I missed this thread!

Nifty good to see someone brave enough to tackle Glide.

Silly question on WinGlide, does it come with source? :)

Cyb

OP
Dave2001

Dave2001

Ok, I said I would post my plugin today, so here it is. Do not be deceived by it, though. It's not as far as it looks. Think of all the other ucodes I have to implement. Also, I'm about to venture into one of the hardest parts: texturing and texture combining. Luckily, I have some experience in this, from writing a glide wrapper (which was never actually released).

I'm thinking about making my glide plugin open-source, so that others can help too. At least if I had to leave the project at some point, somebody else could pick it up. It would be sad to see an attempt at something that is wanted so much go to waste. Anyway, it's not going open-source yet, since it's progressing too fast. Once progress slows, I'll consider doing it.

By the way, can someone try running SF Rush and tell me how it works?

to Cyberman:
Yes, Winglide does come with source. Just search on yahoo for "Winglide". I don't have time to redo it for Glide3x, though.

Last edited:

Cyberman

Cool, I'll have to have a looksie since I changed the card in this machine to a Voodoo3 2000 PCI :)

Texturing might be a sticky point with Glide2/3. If I remember correctly (I've made mistakes before) There is an issue of 32/16 bit textures with older/newer 3dFX cards. In any case best of fortune seems you've done better than I would of!

Cyb

OP
Dave2001

Dave2001

Glide3x isn't compatible with Glide2x. It should work with Voodoo 3 and above, but not before. I'm not going to include support for Voodoo 2 and lower, because it's a whole different SDK. If someone wants to port, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do, though.

Eddy: my glide wrapper wasn't nearly as good as any of the others. It's not something you'd want to use.

Eddy

I Run This
ok no prob.

About textures, voodoo 3 and below cant handle 32bit textures, 24 at max i think. And glide2x and 3x is all the same thing, just a different dll, so there is no need to port, just have the newest drivers, and glide3x.dll in the plugin directory.

OP
Dave2001

Dave2001

I don't have anything but a Voodoo 3 2000, so it would be somewhat hard to add support for textures higher than 24 bit for the newer Voodoo cards. I guess they'll just have to settle for 16-bit color. Besides, don't those cards have better support for Direct3d anyway?

If someone has a Voodoo2, please try out my plugin and tell me if it works. I don't think it will, though. I have read that Glide3x is totally incompatible with Glide2x.

Eddy

I Run This
glide2x should be compatible, just that it will be missing some blends, features, ect. Besides, the last voodo drivers for the 2 where 3x compat.

OP
Dave2001

Dave2001

Ok, I'm trying to use a w-buffer instead of a z-buffer. What coordinate do I need to input for q? I tried 1/z, but that didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.