What's new

N64 Glide Plugin Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
/me has a question.

Do you want any help logging missing combiners? Like, you could give some people each a game to play through.

I could do Paper Mario, if you want.

Also, Ogy, you listed Banjo-Kazooie as "resolution is slightly off, other then that no problems observed". Well, the menus (and a few other 2D objects) are pretty much shit. Just thought I'd let you know.

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
Damn, I just replaced my Voodoo3 with Jeforce2 a few days ago, does anyone have idea to make Glide64 working by using Glide Wrapper. I tried to use OGL wrapper, Glide64 shows me an empty warning dialog box with no messages. This dialog box comes out when 1964 or PJ64 try to switch to full screen.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
u need evoodoo3 (look on emu64 for the link)...its the only wrapper that works. put it in the 1964 dir/pj64 dir (thats the glide3.dll). It should work, buuut there are tranparency probs, fog probs, and some other probs.

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
The Khan Artist said:
/me has a question.

Do you want any help logging missing combiners? Like, you could give some people each a game to play through.

Also, Ogy, you listed Banjo-Kazooie as "resolution is slightly off, other then that no problems observed". Well, the menus (and a few other 2D objects) are pretty much shit. Just thought I'd let you know.

:!!!: ??

ok, make sure it is not your drivers please...

Quackat0r

Emutalk Duck
As far as I can tell, it's only a few of the in-game pickups. In this pic you should be seeing gold feathers at the top, and red feathers below them.

Quackat0r

Emutalk Duck
And here's the pause screen, which is still a bit screwy. It shows the rest of the scrambled pickup images too (the jingoes at the bottom are also scrambled)

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
is that what you meant by menu?
hardly an obstacle in finishing the game i would say, i gave 5 to games where the menu text was unreadable... and where the menus were even more important.

and about the background, i think it uses a special effect which isn't emulated in any plugin in existence (i could be wrong of course)

Last edited:

Quackat0r

Emutalk Duck
Hehehe, I can't remember what the damn thing is supposed to look like anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all :D Like you said, it's not a game crippling problem or anything.

One thing that is bugging me though, what did you do to get WCW Nitro to work? I forced it to the right uCode, as the compatibility list said, aaaaaaand I get nothing. It fires up, and starts emulating, but I don't get any sound or gfx out of it?

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
Quackat0r said:
Hehehe, I can't remember what the damn thing is supposed to look like anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all :D Like you said, it's not a game crippling problem or anything.

One thing that is bugging me though, what did you do to get WCW Nitro to work? I forced it to the right uCode, as the compatibility list said, aaaaaaand I get nothing. It fires up, and starts emulating, but I don't get any sound or gfx out of it?

wait in window mode till you do hear something...(you better press F4 to disable speed limit too)

Dave2001

I believe that game switches uCodes, which I have not implemented yet. I haven't even tried that game yet though.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Yah, Quackat0r, that's what I was talking about. It doesn't affect gameplay, but it IS a problem. Dunno about the background, I can't use any other GFX plugins (good ones, at least.)

And what about
/me has a question.

Dave2001

Anyway, I have a question to ask...

Can anyone give me a better description of the VI_X_SCALE and VI_Y_SCALE registers? I have one description:

VI x-scale
(RW): [11:0] 1/horizontal scale up factor (2.10 format)
[27:16] horizontal subpixel offset (2.10 format)
VI y-scale
(RW): [11:0] 1/vertical scale up factor (2.10 format)
[27:16] vertical subpixel offset (2.10 format)

However, this is very odd, since I typically get VI_X_SCALE = 0x200 and VI_Y_SCALE = 0x400.

That would make x_scale: 1/.5=2, right?
and y_scale: 1/1=1

is it really trying to scale 2x in the x-axis and 1x in the y-axis?

I had most of the resolution problems fixed when I used 0x200/VI_X_SCALE and 0x400/VI_Y_SCALE but there were still a small number more which it didn't handle.

and how about this one?
y stretched:
ViStatusChanged () - VI_X_SCALE_REG: 00000200,
VI_Y_SCALE_REG: 00000800

1 / 0.5 = 2
1 / 2 = 0.5

2x0.5? it's larger in the y, not the x...

Cyberman

Dave2001 said:
Anyway, I have a question to ask...

Can anyone give me a better description of the VI_X_SCALE and VI_Y_SCALE registers? I have one description:

VI x-scale
(RW): [11:0] 1/horizontal scale up factor (2.10 format)
[27:16] horizontal subpixel offset (2.10 format)
VI y-scale
(RW): [11:0] 1/vertical scale up factor (2.10 format)
[27:16] vertical subpixel offset (2.10 format)

However, this is very odd, since I typically get VI_X_SCALE = 0x200 and VI_Y_SCALE = 0x400.

That would make x_scale: 1/.5=2, right?
and y_scale: 1/1=1

is it really trying to scale 2x in the x-axis and 1x in the y-axis?

I had most of the resolution problems fixed when I used 0x200/VI_X_SCALE and 0x400/VI_Y_SCALE but there were still a small number more which it didn't handle.

and how about this one?
y stretched:
ViStatusChanged () - VI_X_SCALE_REG: 00000200,
VI_Y_SCALE_REG: 00000800

1 / 0.5 = 2
1 / 2 = 0.5

2x0.5? it's larger in the y, not the x...

I know you will hate me for doing this.. but how about some algebra?

the first 12 bits are the X/Y scale in both factors 1/X2.X10 1/Y2.Y10
That's what the comment says at least.

so XSF (X scale factor)
0x200 or
0010 0000 0000
or
1/2 (binary fraction remember?)

so YSF (Y Scale factor)
0x400 or
0100 0000 0000
or
1 (binary scale factor)

This tells me that it is using double the resolution but at half the pixel scale horizontally. It's not actually scaling up horizontally at all. Important to note that.
the aspect ratio is still 2/1 though you are right :)

But what's happening is if your resolution is say
320x240 your image data is 2 times the horizontal resoluation as the vertical resoluation. Why they did this I've no idea. It just means things would look squished outward if you rendered them 1:1 :)

But basically they aren't scaling it up they are halving it :) instead. Another game that does this is the tomb raider games though they are rendered at 512x240 I had a heck of a time figuring that out :)

Cyb

Reznor007

Ogy said:
is that what you meant by menu?
hardly an obstacle in finishing the game i would say, i gave 5 to games where the menu text was unreadable... and where the menus were even more important.

and about the background, i think it uses a special effect which isn't emulated in any plugin in existence (i could be wrong of course)

I think that is done with a framebuffer readback to texture, and then blurs the texture. Same as Conker pause screen(IIRC).

Quackat0r

Emutalk Duck
Reznor007 said:

I think that is done with a framebuffer readback to texture, and then blurs the texture. Same as Conker pause screen(IIRC).

That would explain why the jigsaw transition is bust too. No framebuffer in Glide64 yet?

zilmar

Emulator Developer
jigsaw transition makes a pic with a dlist (other then VI registers should make it invisible) .. then grabs that pic from memory as texutres .. then does the jigsaw thing with those textures ... so if the screen is not in memory .. then it will not been seen ..

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
zilmar said:
jigsaw transition makes a pic with a dlist (other then VI registers should make it invisible) .. then grabs that pic from memory as texutres .. then does the jigsaw thing with those textures ... so if the screen is not in memory .. then it will not been seen ..

So where is this "Pic" Saved at? the Rom Memory or the Rom itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.