What's new

N64 Emulators don't work on my computer!!

markobenin

HELP!! I've tried UltraHLE, Nemu64 and Project64, and none of them work. I would try to emulate the simplest game, Mario 64 and when the emulator is about to load the game, WinXP gives me a message to "send error report" and as usual, i press "don't send" and it closes the emulator once i do!

My specs: AMD K6-2+ 550Mhz ; ATi Rage 128 16MB Video Card ; Sound Blaster PCI 16 Sound Card ; 512 SDRAM ; OS: WinXP Pro

The thing is, i remember i used to play Mario 64 on my old system where i had 350Mhz, 8MB video card and less RAM, under Win98. What's wrong and why don't any N64 emulators work for me?!

Thanks alot and i hope to fix this issue soon!

Marko

Allnatural

Is there an error message more specific than what you have mentioned? I suppose you should start at the bottom: update DX, drivers, etc. Frankly, that system is sub-par for decent N64 emulation anyway.

1) Use 1964 with Jabo's GFX 1.5 for good speed.
2) Use windows 98. Your CPU-speed is too low to handle XP at a playable speed (I'd recommend dual boot because win98 *might* have problems with you 512 mb ram).
3) Video-card driver update (http://www.ati.com).

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
The only halfway-decent video you will get with a Rage 128 (DAMN they are crappy chips) will be a Glide 3.1WIP (SET TO W-BUFFER) / eVoodoo 3.25 combo.

The only other playable option is Jabo's 1.4, where you can turn on validate blending when you need it (which is usually.) It has more glitches than the above mentioned possibility.

OP
M

markobenin

alright thanks guys, i'll just stick to SNES emulation for now and wait till i get me a dual 3.0Ghz HT computer :) I bet N64 emulation would work fo shizzle there. Thanks for the help!

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Allnatural said:
Frankly, that system is sub-par for decent N64 emulation anyway.

OS: Windows XP Pro CPU: AMD K6-2+ 550Mhz Video: ATi Radeon 7200 64MB Sound: Sound Blaster PCI 16 Memory: 512SDRAM

That's not that bad, really. He can play nearly anything at a good 75% with the proper settings. That's perfectly sufficient for "decent" N64 Emulation. He could certaintly get 100% with Corn and UHLE.

There is a big if though...why does it say Rage 128 (w/ only 16MB) in your post and Radeon 7200 in your specs at the bottom? If you have the Radeon, this post applies, if it's the Rage, then give up now until you get a new machine.

OP
M

markobenin

lol good investigation work. I thought i had my old ATi Rage 128 16MB video card in the computer, but when i checked my system properties again, it said Radeon 7200, and that's when i remembered i put it in the computer a month ago. So corn and ultrahle should emulate games like mario 64 fine on my computer?

For ultrahle, should i use the original or 2064? And what glide wrappers and plugins would go well with that emu?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
A duel processor 3ghz processor, sounds nice but also sounds quite expensive and unnessicary, what i've got can run project64 with perfect dark at full speed.

OP
M

markobenin

That's true, but prices will go down since that's how it is in the computing business, and it will be worth any money since i won't have to upgrade my computer for a long while, since games won't get THAT good and demanding that i would need to get a new computer, yet anyway...

Any solutions to the problem i have now?

Flash

Technomage
Sayargh said:
A duel processor 3ghz processor, sounds nice but also sounds quite expensive and unnessicary, what i've got can run project64 with perfect dark at full speed.

Even my so outdated cpu can run all
N64 games (PD works at full speed on 1964)

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Flash said:
Even my so outdated cpu can run all
N64 games (PD works at full speed on 1964)

"Voodoo 5 6000"!

I really envie you, It must have been so cool to own one of those! :)