What's new

N64 emulator for PSX

shoutarou

Can it be/has it been done?

The only discussion I can find online about this is an old usenet post. It mentions that someone was working on one called "em64" ....way back in 1996.

So I guess my question really is; does anyone know what happened with it and/or if anyone is planning a new one?

iq_132

Banned
An N64 emulator or PSX has never been done, I think I remember that that was a fake.
I doubt that anyone is planning one. Daedalus has been ported to X-box, but that'll probably never see the light of day.

Stezo2k

S-2K
shoutarou said:
Can it be/has it been done?

The only discussion I can find online about this is an old usenet post. It mentions that someone was working on one called "em64" ....way back in 1996.

So I guess my question really is; does anyone know what happened with it and/or if anyone is planning a new one?

no it cant be done:

1. The psx isnt over 90mhz
2. The psx doesnt have enough ram
3. The psx came out before the n64 so its slower

Thats just a few points, i could post more

Stez

RPGlover12

its not gonna be impossible on ps2 but itsgonna be slow though :) oh well well maybe we shall wait for ps3 ;) maybe it will emulate n64 fast ;)

RPGlover12

ur right xbox is gonna emulate n64 just perfect its a comp ffs it will run it even better than our comps :) oh well were gonna have to wait ;)

Stezo2k

S-2K
iq_132 said:
I heard about one of those, but it was fake too :(
I think that it's impossible on a DC too.

it is very possible, it has enough power, it will only be able to run games like mario due to the limited amount of ram, thats why it hasnt been done

Stez

iq_132

Banned
Ok, I was thinking of the RAM issue... I didn't even think of Mario though.. I only remembered that Conker's BFD takes a lot more RAM than the DC has. Someone posted how much ram a certain game would take... it think it was Duncan...

Reznor007

Hmm...emulate a 93.75MHz MIPS R4300i on a 33MHz MIPS R3000? Not a chance in hell(at reasonable speed). Plus the PSX only has 2MB RAM.

LD.

*poke*
For an N64 emu on the Dreamcast, couldn't the ROMs be accessed from the CD, instead of loaded into RAM first? I can see how it would be slower, but would it be possible?

Stezo2k

S-2K
think this has been discussed before, i duno if its possible to do that, but its a good idea :D

The dc has enough speed for somthing that used HLE, so it would be possible to get games to work 100% speed. Mabie someone could port ultrahle :)

i'd love to play mario on DC :D

Stez

Stezo2k

S-2K
if the psx had enough ram, it probably could emulate the n64, but ONLY if it would use the same style emulation as corn, then u'd get a superb speed for psx :D

Stez