What's new

N64 emulation better than the actual hardware?

campbell00

I just bought a genuine n64, and it clearly runs worse than My PC emulator. I got paranoid, thinking my n64 was faulty. Can anyone tell me if things like framerate are better on PC's?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Emulating the games on a PC don't make the framerate suddenly better. If you have a PAL console and you are used to playing NTSC games on emulators, then you'll see a difference because NTSC runs inherently "faster" than PAL.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Well, if you don't live in the US or in Japan, then it is very likely that you have a PAL console.

Toasty

Sony battery
I just bought a genuine n64, and it clearly runs worse than My PC emulator.
This statement is a bit vague. What clearly makes it worse?

You can achieve a much higher graphics resolution on an emulator, as the original N64 was designed to display graphics on relatively-low-resolution televisions. You can also enhance certain games with texture packs. But emulators are designed to run at the same speed as the device they emulate, so the framerate (which is hard-coded into the games AFAIK) should be the same as on the original console. (Like Agozer said, NTSC games may appear to run slightly smoother than PAL, which isn't really unique to emulators.)

OP
C

campbell00

This statement is a bit vague. What clearly makes it worse?

You can achieve a much higher graphics resolution on an emulator, as the original N64 was designed to display graphics on relatively-low-resolution televisions. You can also enhance certain games with texture packs. But emulators are designed to run at the same speed as the device they emulate, so the framerate (which is hard-coded into the games AFAIK) should be the same as on the original console. (Like Agozer said, NTSC games may appear to run slightly smoother than PAL, which isn't really unique to emulators.)

Well, by better, I mean framerate-wise. The n64 is slowing down and its not as smooth as I remember. I didnt do any modification to the hardware, but I dont know if it is PAL console or not.

Allnatural

Well, by better, I mean framerate-wise. The n64 is slowing down and its not as smooth as I remember. I didnt do any modification to the hardware, but I dont know if it is PAL console or not.
If you don't know if it's PAL, it's probably not PAL.

I'm guessing you only think the framerate is better when emulated. Many games were never very smooth to begin with (sub-30 framerates will do that) and PJ64 replicates that as it should.

jdsony

I haven't played my N64 in a long time because I too find the emulation better (in the games that are near perfect). I have most of my favorite games in cartridge form and I do like playing on the original system but the low-resolution and slowness is a bit off putting. While in general I do find the emulator replicates the framerate pretty accurately I don't notice nearly as much slowdown in games like Jet Force Gemini. It's one of the great games that suffered from bad reviews mostly due to the slowdown.

The 320 × 240 resolution in most games is the biggest downfall. Even bumping up to 640x480 through emulation and running on an SDTV is a large improvement. It really depends on what you are using as a monitor. I've got a low-res Amiga monitor I use with S-Video, or RGB cables for my retro gaming. I tried playing Banjo Tooie in widescreen on my HDTV and it looked like a grainy mess while Perfect Dark running 1777x1000 with 4x AA looks really nice and clear. I don't mind simple graphics at all as long as they are clear (even if it's due to blur).

I've recently finally gotten into the Gamecube and I'm enjoying it a lot. I don't doubt though if the emulation comes a long way I would switch. I use to be on the side of using the original hardware but honestly as I get older I give way more to convenience. I've even mostly adopted LCD's despite them looking worse for non HD gaming just due to the sheer convenience of size.

I read an article on overclocking your N64 which helps the framerate a bit without making the overall game faster. I can't remember now if it only works with the newer consoles (like the jungle green) or just the older ones (earlier dark grey/black console).

Last edited: