What's new

My PC meets system requirements but P64 still runs poorly

katsumaaji

So, these are my specs for the emulator box I have:
Pentium 4 1.7ghz processor
1 GB of RAM
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128mb
400GB SATA hard drive, 7200 rpm (~75% free)
Xbox360 wireless controller for input device

Yet even the games without high requirements (i.e. Super Mario 64) run either at only ~30 fps, or the sound is extremely glitchy. I've tried just about every plugin I've come across. Anyone have any tips? I've been racking my brain on tbhis one...

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
K

katsumaaji

Yeah I'm using DX9, and all dxdiag tests come back fine. All videocard drivers are updated...all though thats through Windows update, not nvidia. Its funny because the first time I loaded up a rom after install it worked fine, but after that everything runs like dirt

Allnatural

SM64 is supposed to run at 30fps, unless you're refering to the FPS counter at the bottom of the PJ64 window (which is actually VI/s, a constant source of confusion). Many games run even slower, about 20fps, so what you're seeing may be completely normal.

OP
K

katsumaaji

Sorry I should've clarified that, I did in fact mean the fps counter (VI/s). The game(s) run very choppy.

Another N00b

All videocard drivers are updated...all though thats through Windows update, not nvidia.

as for the driver update using windows, imo it sucks. Ever since i got a new pc, windows update recommends me to install nvidia drivers, but it is even older than the default version of the gfx card (so if i deinstall the drivers im using now, the version would still be newer than the sh*t i get using windows update). So as far as i experienced (using vista), downloading drivers from the official nvidia page is way better.
If that´s the case, it would explain your problem:

Its funny because the first time I loaded up a rom after install it worked fine, but after that everything runs like dirt

OP
K

katsumaaji

Ok I'll try the nvidia drivers then. And by 'everything', I mean after loading that first rom after installing & configuring P64, I can't get any roms to run at full speed any more, including that first rom. Any recommendations on plugins for nvidia?

Another N00b

As long as you don´t want/have to use hi-res textures, Jabos d3d is ok, otherwise you could try Rice´s Video, Glide Napalm etc, it´s most likely not a plugin problem anyway (imo) since in the worst case you just wouldn´t get a picture or experience some gfx issues.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
SM64 is supposed to run at 30fps, unless you're refering to the FPS counter at the bottom of the PJ64 window (which is actually VI/s, a constant source of confusion). Many games run even slower, about 20fps, so what you're seeing may be completely normal.

i have to go check now, i thought SM64 was 20fps like most early 64 games.

OP
K

katsumaaji

SUCCESS! Awesome thanks guys, I can't believe it was such a simple fix, considering all the advanced fixes I tried. Interestingly enough, ePSXe now runs any game flawlessly now as well, thanks again!

Strange the OoT runs at a lower fps considering its a more technically/graphically advanced game. On another note, what does VI/second stand for.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
SUCCESS! Awesome thanks guys, I can't believe it was such a simple fix, considering all the advanced fixes I tried. Interestingly enough, ePSXe now runs any game flawlessly now as well, thanks again!

Strange the OoT runs at a lower fps considering its a more technically/graphically advanced game.
Um... What did you do?

And that would be why OoT runs at a lowed FPS. The N64 hardware wouldn't have been able to handle it otherwise.

ThomasH

I just reinstalled the nvidia drivers from the nvidia site instead of using windows update.

How did it go for you? Also check that your CPU is running as fast as you think it is. I say this as some times FSB can be set lower than they should be. Then also look to see if you have any other programs running. My better halfs computer should be a lot faster than my one, but she has so much junk on it that it crawls.