What's new

My Desktop Vista DIED! Help!

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Whoa... what a last holiday day!
As some of you know, I am studying 500km away from home, that's the reason my desktop rig isn't updated for a long time. But I installed Vista some month ago, because of the MSDNAA deal of our university and some Vista related coding and testing.
I didn't had any problem the last few month, my parents used it most of the time for internet surfing and playing games. Auto update was activated and secured with spyware blocker and such stuff. So nothing big at all.
But yesterday it happened: I shutdown my PC to restart it and it didn't started! The loading screen appears but after that it's all black.
I tried "last known config" and all the other options, even safe mode didn't helped.
Last thing I see is "Loading:\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk" than it stops responding. I've searched on Google and saw, that a lot other guys had the same problem, but there doesn't seems to be a fix...
Probably some of you guys knows a fix.
I've read, that I have to rename or delete C:\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys and C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcm cia.inf_539d553e, but I wonder how to do... I can't come into my system folder at all and even in Linux (knoppix distro) I coulnd't rename these files. "You are not allowed to..." was the message!
I read about Windows PE 2.0, but I didn't found it yet, it would probably a solution, but probably not.
I'm really pissed, because already back at university and my desktop rig is at home and isn't working. I'll try to fix it at the weekend, but I need some advices... here are a lot guys with a great CPU knowledge, but I don't know about Vista. We'll see...
And please, I don't need to get answers like: Vista SUX use XP instead or Linux is better, ebcause like I already stated I need it for coding and testing.
Very long text and short story: help me!
I've also posted it on NGEmu...

smcd

There is a tool bartpe to make a bootable windows disc that might help, though I am not certain...

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

Ah, nice, never heard about BartPE, only heard about windows PE, thanks for that! I will research Infos about that!
Any additional tips? Anyone?

R

rico001

dec 19

Whoa... what a last holiday day!
As some of you know, I am studying 500km away from home, that's the reason my desktop rig isn't updated for a long time. But I installed Vista some month ago, because of the MSDNAA deal of our university and some Vista related coding and testing.
I didn't had any problem the last few month, my parents used it most of the time for internet surfing and playing games. Auto update was activated and secured with spyware blocker and such stuff. So nothing big at all.
But yesterday it happened: I shutdown my PC to restart it and it didn't started! The loading screen appears but after that it's all black.
I tried "last known config" and all the other options, even safe mode didn't helped.
Last thing I see is "Loading:\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk" than it stops responding. I've searched on Google and saw, that a lot other guys had the same problem, but there doesn't seems to be a fix...
Probably some of you guys knows a fix.
I've read, that I have to rename or delete C:\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys and C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcm cia.inf_539d553e, but I wonder how to do... I can't come into my system folder at all and even in Linux (knoppix distro) I coulnd't rename these files. "You are not allowed to..." was the message!
I read about Windows PE 2.0, but I didn't found it yet, it would probably a solution, but probably not.
I'm really pissed, because already back at university and my desktop rig is at home and isn't working. I'll try to fix it at the weekend, but I need some advices... here are a lot guys with a great CPU knowledge, but I don't know about Vista. We'll see...
And please, I don't need to get answers like: Vista SUX use XP instead or Linux is better, ebcause like I already stated I need it for coding and testing.
Very long text and short story: help me!
I've also posted it on NGEmu...

I had a similiar problem, my screen went black after the windows logo...

What I did was to wearch on google for a solution...

A windows update (not security related) for December 19th seemed to cause the problem. You can try going to the Last Known Good Configuration--> after logging in going to windows update viewing the history, and uninstalling the dec. 19 update,

but you said this did not work... So you could tell windows to try to repair it and then there will be an advanced options setting and you could use that to get to a system restore option and use that if you can't get to windows update and it may or may not work. It might also help to first boot up with a live cd and back up your data to another place first.

-- Rico

Last edited:
OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

Do you know which files came from this update on dec 19?
I wonder why Windows installed it that late. I've also found VistaPE after searching for BartPE, will also try that.
Thanks, that finally someone tries to help me.

smcd

Does it even make it to the login screen? Is the cursor visible? can you access ctrl+alt+del menu?

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

No, like I stated before, it stops after the loading screen.
Instead of the login screen, there's only a black screen, so no cursor and no Task Manager or anything else... >.<

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

Uhm... what?
Only OS is Vista and I am talking about my Desktop PC not my Laptop...
Btw: hope someone can help me with Vista PE, because after booting it only shows a black screen with my mouse cursor!?
Whoa, I'm going crazy!

pcuser2008

PC Guru
did you install vista over xp or have you installed deamon tools on the laptop before[/QUOTE
sos got everything messed up above,

What i ment to say is "Deamon Tools" is know to cause "crcdisk" to stop responding
as you said
"Loading:\windows\system32\drivers\crcdi sk" than it stops responding.
also crcdisk is what load all your dvd/harddrives ect. you could try to disable all your drives in the bios except the drive thats vista is on.

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

Okay, finally understood... thanks for the explanation, but your last post was a lil bit confusing... :p
Btw: I've got it fixed... used VistaPE 11 and system restoration and nothing get lost and my system was fixed.
Thanks for all the tips guys.