What's new

My computer won't detect my CD-RW drive

garboy

Some One
I've had my CD-RW drive for a long time. But now my computer wont detect it for some reason. I've tried unplugging it and re-plugging it in but it still doesn't detect it. It doesn't even show it under My Computer. I don't have any drivers for it either. Can someone tell me what's the problem? Is it dead?

Is it a master or a slave drive?
And does the BIOS see it or not?
Is it getting power and if so does it still eject the disc tray?
Does any other hardware work on the same IDE channel (if IDE) minus the CD-RW?
Did you try a new cable or not?

ra5555

N64 Newbie
1. check all the IDE cables are pluged in properly on the motherboard. I onced exchanged my dvd-rom from the supplier and it still didn't work, and finally figuering out it was a lose IDE cable, talk about lame)

2. Your IDE cable might be broken try switching it

3. Check your bios settings and make sure you select auto detect devices

4. Make sure you connect to a correct 4 pin power pin and make sure you have enough power supply

OP
G

garboy

Some One
I tried my other CDROM drive and it works fine with the same cable and everything...is my burner dead?

alexa999

Banned
garboy said:
I tried my other CDROM drive and it works fine with the same cable and everything...is my burner dead?

Yes, I believe your burner is dead.:( I suggest you exchange it.:plain:

alexa999 said:

Yes, I believe your burner is dead.:( I suggest you exchange it.:plain:

Before we declare it's dead, what is the jumper setting's (signal, master, and slave (if you didn't know, it should say on the label on top of the drive))?
And dose it work in another PC?
If it doesn't work in a deferent PC then it's dead:plain: .

How old is this CD-RW and what is the speed of it (e.g. 4x4x24x)?

1. Is it detected in the bios you can tell by going into the bios setup and check what drives are dectected.

2. Did you install any cd writing software recently because some cd-writing software installs drivers that can conflict with existing drivers your on your system. try uninstalling the software.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Don't throw it out just yet, wait a while like my friend did, and the problem will probably be magically be fixed! ;)

Trotterwatch

I got this problem, and traced it back to an intermittent power fault in the CD drive itself - sadly I haven't the know how nor the equipment to even begin to rectify this problem.

As such the drive *may* work when the machine is turned on (1 in 10 or thereabouts), but it will not work for long enough for anything to be done using it. Total pain in the arse, so I'm going to pick up a cheap new one tomorrow.

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
I definitely recommend getting a new cheap CD-RW drive, it's not worth the hassle trying to fix a broken one. LiteON drives are very good - they even support difficult read and write modes so they can backup and write protected game discs. LiteON is also a budget brand, so a 52x write 24x rewrite 40+x read drive would only cost US$50 or UK£50 if you shop around.

neoak

Triforce of Something...
My HP 9150i is dead. I think that Overburning killed it.

I'm gonna put the other HP burner that i have. And no, the BIOS doesn't recognize the old one, neither the tray opens.

I think it has the same problem as Trotterwatch's unit had.

UPDATE: Yeap. it's dead. I replaced it, and have the other HP right now. i still don't know if this one supports overburning...

Last edited: