What's new

my bro bought a 5700 ultra and has power problems with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokuss4

Meh...
it says the gfx card doesnt have enough power going to it. how does he fix this? btw...system specs are amd athlon xp 2600+, 512mb pc2100 ddr, and 350 watt power supply.

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
What kind of other stuff does the comp have? like how many hdds, what kind of peripherals... try taking off unneccessary stuff from the computer..

Remote

yes, unplugg one pepherial at a time, i.e hd, cd, usb and restat his comp until the gfx card gets enough power...

Does it say not enough power at boot or at start of os?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Does the the screen go black when he tries to access the CD drive and/or
second hard disk drive? If it does, there is insufficient power to the +12V rail.

BTW, I noticed that all Radeons, even the early Radeons are power hogs,
because with a 300W power supply and GeForce2 MX 200 video card, was able to access all drives with no problem, then after a Radeon 7000 video card was installed, boom! the screen goes black and the monitor light turns orange when trying to access the CD drive to install the Radeon drivers.

Also, while with the GeForce2 MX200 video card, the +12V rail was at 12.00V, with the Radeon 7000 video card installed, I noticed the +12V rail was at 11.94V, thus the +12V rail probably dropped to 10V and possibly around 9.6V during load!!! When I unplugged one of the hard disk drives, voila! no more lockup crashes when accessing the CD drive.

Has anyone noticed the above before?

OP
G

gokuss4

Meh...
nevermind its all good, we never noticed the supplemental power plugin on the card...oops, oh well we got it plugged in, so now it works. topic can be closed :)

Trotterwatch

ROFLMAO :) Glad to see it got fixed in the end. And no worries, I'd probably end up making a mistake like that myself.

BTW, I noticed that all Radeons, even the early Radeons are power hogs

Never noticed that myself in my dealings with Radeon cards, more likely at the time you had a dodgy power supply. Not all 300w are equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.