What's new

Mupen64 Rerecord v8 laggy

Keits

visit n64Redux.com!
Hey everyone,

I decided to try out Mupen cause people use this for TAS, and maybe I'll attempt it to. But, my games run slow. (I play OOT and MM specifically). And it lags.. its unplayable, and with some plugins I dont even see anything happening.

My main emulator is 1964, and the games run great there so...
So does anyone have any advice?

My specs are really sucky >_>

Intel Pentium III Coppermine: 1GHz
Ram: 768MB
Videocard: Ati Radeon 9600 Series, 256MB

X-Fi6

People that use Mupen64 for tool-assisted speedruns use a modified version of it. Mupen64 is open-source, programmed in C++ (to be compiled under GCC or Dev-C++), so people have made changes to it and released it as new versions (like Mupen64k, for example, which adds Kaillera online multiplayer support to the emulator).

Check here for more info about Mupen64 TAS:
http://www.speedruns.net/content/view/302/325/

I would suggest the following:

- Use whatever graphics plugin you already use in 1964
- Use the N-Rage DirectInput Overhaul
- Use Azimer's HLE Audio v0.56 WIP II
- Use whatever RSP plugin that comes with the TAS version of Mupen64 that you download.

Last edited:
OP
K

Keits

visit n64Redux.com!
People that use Mupen64 for tool-assisted speedruns use a modified version of it. Mupen64 is open-source, programmed in C++ (to be compiled under GCC or Dev-C++), so people have made changes to it and released it as new versions (like Mupen64k, for example, which adds Kaillera online multiplayer support to the emulator).

Check here for more info about Mupen64 TAS:
http://www.speedruns.net/content/view/302/325/

I would suggest the following:

- Use whatever graphics plugin you already use in 1964
- Use the N-Rage DirectInput Overhaul
- Use Azimer's HLE Audio v0.56 WIP II
- Use whatever RSP plugin that comes with the TAS version of Mupen64 that you download.

Heya Pyro and X-Fi, thanks for the site and your suggestions, however, I tried using the same plugins as I use in 1964, and I even tried using the plugins you suggested, but its still unplayable. I guess no TAS's for me..

OP
K

Keits

visit n64Redux.com!
Hmm, it seems that the FPS increased a bit. ALMOST playable xD
I guess its the emulator ;) I'll just wait till a good stable version is here. :O

Pyromanik

Mupen 64 has not been touched (that we know of) since the 0.5 release over 3 years ago.

Currently Mupen64plus (our fork) does not support rerecording.

It's odd that you're experiencing troubles, but one would have to say that your hardware isn't of 'current' spec. Unfortunatly this may be the limitation involved when using Mupen64.

OP
K

Keits

visit n64Redux.com!
Yeah, I'd blame the hardware too, but PJ1.6 + 1964 work really fine.
So yeah... I guess Mupen needs to be tweaked.

Unless, Rice builds a record feature in 1964 :D That'd be awesome.

Pyromanik

Rice video is no longer developed.
There are a few hacker forks from when Rice GPL'd his source though. Mudlord continued development for a while, but has since stopped. Aristotle is currently working on it, but I think it's more for stability and video improvement than for new features. He also only develops in Direct X it seems :/

argor

Rice video is no longer developed.
There are a few hacker forks from when Rice GPL'd his source though. Mudlord continued development for a while, but has since stopped. Aristotle is currently working on it, but I think it's more for stability and video improvement than for new features. He also only develops in Direct X it seems :/
mupen+ team also maintenance one version

Pyromanik

I know that.
But for the moment there is no stable windows version.
Not sure if one could get just the plugin to compile.
Also all the DX stuff has been cut out.

We're fixing problems with it too, not adding features (like rerecording at least).

argor

I know that.
But for the moment there is no stable windows version.
Not sure if one could get just the plugin to compile.
yes there is a stable windows version you just have to compile it you self

Also all the DX stuff has been cut out.
the only small differences between dx and opengl it all leads to the same end

Pyromanik

yes there is a stable windows version, you just have to compile it yourself

Oh?
The M64p version does not compile on windows, let alone able run in another emulator.
Perhaps you've changed subject back to Aristotle's version?

As I said in my previous post... Rice is no longer actively maintained (by rice) anymore, though a few others have continued the work, first mudlord and now aristotle. The most recent version can be found here: http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=46949

Mupen64plus does maintain a version, true, however this is obviously a linux port. Compilation has recently been tested under windows and does not work.

Please try not to confuse the 'main trunk' version and the M64p linux port (which can probably be better described as a fork). Both are updated independantly AFAIK.

Last edited:

argor

Oh?
The M64p version does not compile on windows, let alone able run in another emulator.
yes it doss compile on windows at lest when i did try it some while a go

Perhaps you've changed subject back to Aristotle's version?
no

As I said in my previous post... Rice is no longer actively maintained (by rice) anymore, though a few others have continued the work, first mudlord and now aristotle. The most recent version can be found here: http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=46949

Mupen64plus does maintain a version, true, however this is obviously a linux port. Compilation has recently been tested under windows and does not work.

Please try not to confuse the 'main trunk' version and the M64p linux port (which can probably be better described as a fork). Both are updated independantly AFAIK.
yes both aristotle version and the mupen+ version are forks the main differences are the mupen+ is somewhat more Advance than the aristotle version

Pyromanik

I checked before I posted. (thanks to olejl)
If it did compile, it doesn't anymore.

And I wouldn't really call Aristotle's work a fork... unless I'm missing something.
AFAIK the workline goes something like this:
Rice developed it, stopped, released code under GPL.
Mudlord picked up where Rice left off, developed for a bit, stopped.
Aristotle has picked up where Mudlord left off... Still working away on it slowly.
I wouldn't call this a fork, more a continuation.

Where as, please correct me if I'm wrong, the Mupen64plus version is based on the the old hacktraux and blight port, as well as porting some of mudlord's work. Since then I don't know of any sharing of developments in the code.

I'm not a graphics dev, so I can't say about how advanced either is, all I know is that Aristotle has been concentrating on Direct3D, where Mupen is obviously making OpenGL corrections/advancements. Not sure what Mudlord did specifically... but where the two branches sit today I'm sure the mupen one is better described as a fork. Though I do suppose it depends on your viewpoint :)

In either case, I don't think anyone has worked on it in any great leaps and strides in a while. Tillin9 is working on it in a branch, but I think he's trying to deal mostly with sorting the GUI out, and I see some widescreen support commits in there too.

Last edited: