What's new

Mozilla Firefox, less secure than IE?

Poobah

It is a way better alternative. I have never had a single bit of spyware or adware of any sort on my computer since I switched to it from Internet Explorer.

smegforbrain

The number of vulnerrabilities isn't necessarily the issue: it's what those vulnerabilities allow others to do to your system.

And that's where MS really fucked up with IE, because IE is attached to Windows like your finger to your hand.

Miretank

Lurking
And, wanting or not, IE is more known than FF. People starting into internet now will occasionally use Internet Explorer. So, hackers will attack the "main" browser.

Yeah but the main message here is that no browser is completely invulnerable but for me if you want very good safety options you should use Opera. They only found 7 bugs so far......

Poobah

I used to use Opera, but it had some flaws that put me off it:
  • It takes a few minutes just to start-up after you've used it for a few weeks and its HDD cache had grown large.
  • It doesn't work very well with download managers.
  • It lacks the abundance of plug-ins and things that Firefox has.

Ignoring the above features, I'd say it's the best of the three major Windows ones.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
But don't forget that Mozilla is the fatest out put out patches - only a day :)
But since FF isn't the number one browser still, IE is the one that gets attacks and we're still safe ;)

Miretank

Lurking
Doomulation said:
But since FF isn't the number one browser still, IE is the one that gets attacks and we're still safe ;)
Exactly. Doesn't matter if it lacks security when it's not attacked. :)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
As far as i'm concerned, 1 big hole is worse than 100 small ones. Mozilla Firefox is far better than Internet Exploder. Mainly because of adblock, my that is the most useful plugin ever.

OP
tye stik

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
I think Opera is a much better alternative than Mozilla. I think Firefox is gross, like pizza vomit after you get too drunk.

Opera dosen't have as many plugins mainly because most of the functionalities are already ingrained in the program. As for 'extras', Opera sports a system known as 'widgets' allowing you to add web applets to your browser. It has an integrated IRC chat system... IRC can be more useful than you think, you just have to be patient with people, you'll get access to things you could never find otherwise. Also, it has intergrated bittorrent, which is really cool.

Opera seems to have had considerably less press than Mozilla... so I imagine its less likely to be first on the list of a would be attacker.

Doomulation

IRC? I can use mIRC for that.
Bittorrent? I can use Bitcomet / uTorrent for that.
I don't need a lot of integrated crap - there's lots of other, often BETTER software solutions out there.
I don't think Opera lacks plugins because it has much functionality, but more because it isn't as popular as Firefox. There are always things people want that are not in there by default.

Poobah

tye stik said:
I think Opera is a much better alternative than Mozilla. I think Firefox is gross, like pizza vomit after you get too drunk.

Opera dosen't have as many plugins mainly because most of the functionalities are already ingrained in the program. As for 'extras', Opera sports a system known as 'widgets' allowing you to add web applets to your browser. It has an integrated IRC chat system... IRC can be more useful than you think, you just have to be patient with people, you'll get access to things you could never find otherwise. Also, it has intergrated bittorrent, which is really cool.

Opera seems to have had considerably less press than Mozilla... so I imagine its less likely to be first on the list of a would be attacker.
That post made me laugh. :)

Miretank

Lurking
Btw FF2 got it's RC1. Anyone testing?
I am not testing because it denies the Video Downloader. That sucks.

Doomulation

Bah. Who needs the Video Downloader? A little technical knowledge is all that is necessary to "steal" something from a website, including images, videos and flash films.
Oh yes, just installed RC1. It looks pretty similar to Beta 2, however. Let's see if the frequent lock ups returns.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Doomulation said:
Bah. Who needs the Video Downloader? A little technical knowledge is all that is necessary to "steal" something from a website, including images, videos and flash films.

Could you tell us about how to do that?

Doomulation

Look for embed tags. There's also bgsound in the body tag sometimes, but none that I have seen lately.
Otherwise, you need just to search the HTML for the file you wish to aquire. It's music? Search for something with mp3, wav or mid, usually. It's flash? Search for swf. And so on.
For images, look for img tags.

OP
tye stik

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Look for embed tags. There's also bgsound in the body tag sometimes, but none that I have seen lately.
Otherwise, you need just to search the HTML for the file you wish to aquire. It's music? Search for something with mp3, wav or mid, usually. It's flash? Search for swf. And so on.
For images, look for img tags.

I was messing around with some web page source code and I figured out how to change the value of option selectors... it was a t-shirt ordering site and I changed the the amount of shirts to order to -1... i then saved and reloaded the webpage from my cache, once I got to the check out it stated that the amount I owed was a negative value... thus they owed me money!

I wouldn't complete an order like this though, I'm sure there are people who check for that sort of thing, seeing as a noob script kiddy such as myself figured it out without difficulty.:batman:

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
SlimickGamer said:
Yeah but the main message here is that no browser is completely invulnerable but for me if you want very good safety options you should use Opera. They only found 7 bugs so far......

In that case you could use links2 aswell :p