What's new

motherborad problem

lplover2k2

i have just bought a new motherborad for pentium 4.it's a an assus x series i think.My friend also has a an assus x series motherboard.Here's the problem.My friend had an abit motherboard for p4 and 512mb ram with geforce mx 4 440 64mb and was playing fifa ,need for speed very flawlessly.He has changed motherboard for an assuz now and now the games do not run well at all.they lags.My pc too with a 512mb and assus motherboard doesn't play well the games too. does someone know a solution for the problem?

SubCog

more important than the brand name is the chipset. do you know what he upgraded to? was it a kt400 (which should work great, by the way)?

riles9262

My dissident is here...
SubCog said:
more important than the brand name is the chipset. do you know what he upgraded to? was it a kt400 (which should work great, by the way)?

isnt kt400 only for amd?
as for the reason games lag, maybe there are some changes in the motherboard's bios that could help you out. i'd start with the agp settings, ram settings/timings etc. do a search on the net if you dont know what some of the bios options mean.

gandalf

Member ready to help
Yep,the same problem with a friend.
He have an Pentium3 850 MhZ with an SiS 630/730 chipset.
And the problem: SiS 630/730 is only for AMD.
I have AMD(Duron 700MhZ),and my PC works better than his PC!,and yes,with the same chipset

OP
lplover2k2

lplover2k2

the asus motherboard's cipset is via PT800 and the ABIT one is sis 645dx.Any idea why the asus is slower than the abit?

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
buy a motherboard with a Intel chipset for P4......
buy a motherboard with Nvidia/VIA chipset for AthlonXP......

blah, i hate SIS, but the lastest chipsets are good........

OP
lplover2k2

lplover2k2

i have intel chipset for p4 it's intel 845e and me2 i am experiencing the same prob as my friend.We have updated everything,graphic card drivers,motherboard and have formatted hdd when he has changed motherboard.

Stezo2k

S-2K
lplover2k2 said:
i have intel chipset for p4 it's intel 845e and me2 i am experiencing the same prob as my friend.We have updated everything,graphic card drivers,motherboard and have formatted hdd when he has changed motherboard.

wierd, totally beats me then mate, sorry

OP
lplover2k2

lplover2k2

asus is supposed to be the world leading motherboard no? but how come an old abit motherboard is much faster than a new asus one???? i'm very frustrated about that.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
lplover2k2 said:
asus is supposed to be the world leading motherboard no? but how come an old abit motherboard is much faster than a new asus one???? i'm very frustrated about that.
its a rare occasion that a motherboard will be the cause of intense lag in games, btw the pt800 is a great chipset from what i have heard, and your english is rather hard to understand so i am sorry if i don't answer the right question, but could you give us details like Motherboard Model (X-Series is just Asus's line of gamer mobos) and your friends processor speed, as well as your FSB etc etc, then someone may be able to compare them and help you out, and i doubt this is the right forum for this, shouldn't this be in techtalk

sheik124

Emutalk Member
gandalf said:
Yep,the same problem with a friend.
He have an Pentium3 850 MhZ with an SiS 630/730 chipset.
And the problem: SiS 630/730 is only for AMD.
I have AMD(Duron 700MhZ),and my PC works better than his PC!,and yes,with the same chipset
i really don't understand how you can run an intel processor on an AMD chipset, they have different sockets!! how the heck can in work?

OP
lplover2k2

lplover2k2

i have p4b533-x intel 845e chipset and my friend has p4v800x via pt800 chipset and his old motherboard was abit sis 645dx chipset. I have p4 2.66ghz and my friend has p4 2.5 ghz. i'm sorry didn't find a place to post my prob.thanks for helping me.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
lplover2k2 said:
i have p4b533-x intel 845e chipset and my friend has p4v800x via pt800 chipset and his old motherboard was abit sis 645dx chipset. I have p4 2.66ghz and my friend has p4 2.5 ghz. i'm sorry didn't find a place to post my prob.thanks for helping me.
i know why (or actually may know why) i know nothing about the SIS p4 chipsets, BUT your motherboard only supports 533 FSB (appearing by the model number) and if your processor supports 800 FSB then you will be seeing a performance dip, the VIA chipset your friend has supports 800 FSB but i don't think the 2.5 has 800 MHZ FSB, if i am wrong someone correct me so i don't look stupid :matrix:

also, your friends mobo change should actually make his gaming experience BETTER, make sure he has all his BIOS settings right (memory timings, cpu multiplier and fsb etc etc) and all the newest drivers, DX9.0b, Mobo Bios, and the latest update for the game

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
If you don't understand about bios settings, try to "Load Optimal Settings" option in your bios menu.......

you can test another mobo (MOtherBOard) in the same system, maybe this problems isn't related to your mobo......

FSB= Front Side Bus
you mobo needs to support your processor FSB........
for pentium4 comes in 3 flavors: 400MHz (my cpu), 533MHz, 800MHz, and use a memory module that can support these FSBs (read your mobo manual)
the memory module needs to support a multiple of these speeds..... for example my RAMBUS (dual channel) memory is at 800MHz (2x400MHz), my memory supports 400MHz FSB and 800MHz FSB..... for 533 you can use a 266MHz memory, etc.......

Last edited:
OP
lplover2k2

lplover2k2

i do have the motherboard manual but i don't know my processor's FSB.How can i know that please? thanks for all your help

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
lplover2k2 said:
i do have the motherboard manual but i don't know my processor's FSB.How can i know that please? thanks for all your help

you can use Sisoft Sandra to identify all your hardware components.....
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=177

with this program you can identify if motherboard/memory have problems (using "Memory Bandwith Benchmark" and comparing with the same chipset type)

Last edited: