What's new

Most Accurate Plugins

I'm using Project64 currently (seems to work the best for me) and I wanted to know which plugins would give me the most accurate emulation and compatibility.

I play games like Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Pokemon Stadium 2, Crusin' USA and more, but those are probably the ones I would like working best. Right now I'm using Glide64 and it works, but is really lacking in 2D images and text....and has many errors with other games like Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon. :plain:

So basically I'm just confused as to which sound and video plugins work the best. I don't have to worry about speed issues, I have a good enough comp to handle it...but I just can't seem to get good results from the plugins I've tried.

Any help? :smurf:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
none of them are very accurate, you have to try them and see which you can get to work best. Emutalk has n64 plugins archive.

OP

I have experiemented and I am getting a tad tired of of them all not working correctly. Some plugins don't even work at all....

If anyone wants to help here is my config:

AMD 64 FX-53
2048 RAM
BFG Geforce 6800GT
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

I think thats all that really matter to an emu, so any help would be nice. :smurf:

Right now I am finding the best results with the newest Glide64 and Azimer's newest audio plugin. My problem is that I find it hard to believe that a plugin based off old voodoo cards is "the best" :bye3: I would think something that uses the newest OpenGL or Dx9 would do better.

Clements

Gonetz, who develops Glide64, happens to be one of the best plugin developers. The Glide API is also a near-match to the capabilities of the N64's graphics hardware.

OP

Clements said:
Gonetz, who develops Glide64, happens to be one of the best plugin developers. The Glide API is also a near-match to the capabilities of the N64's graphics hardware.

Ah! Thank you...I didn't know that. At least it finally makes sense to me :bunny:
Is Hacktarux's glide wrapper the best one to use with Glide64 for best results?

Clements

Yes, it's the best glidewrapper for hi-end hardware and Glide64. Hactarux's wrapper supports multexturing and software framebuffer with Glide64, and has few (if any) issues other than it does not support HWFB (yet). The known issues and config options for Glide64 can be found in the compatibility list bundled with the plugin.

OP

Clements said:
Yes, it's the best glidewrapper for hi-end hardware and Glide64. Hactarux's wrapper supports multexturing and software framebuffer with Glide64, and has few (if any) issues other than it does not support HWFB (yet). The known issues and config options for Glide64 can be found in the compatibility list bundled with the plugin.

I would assume that the HWFB is only better than software performance wise though right? Or is software frame buffer buggy? If its just a speed thing I can live with it.

Okay now that video is settled, what about Audio? Currently I am using Azmier's Audio plugin 0.56 WIP 2 and it works as best as I can tell. Some games though like Pokemon Stadium 2 won't even start unless I switch to another plugin (disabling sync etc does not seem to help). Is Azmiers the most accurate sounding plugin out there? The difference I seem to notice with audio plugins is that some of them skip and loose synce very easily. This seems to be the only plugin I've used that can match the Donkey Kong 64 Rap to the video :phone:

Clements

The hardware version is faster and looks better, but the software version can take over these effects and it'll look accurate enough to the real system. SWFB can be slow but with your system it won't be much of an issue. Azimer's 0.56 WIP 2 is pretty much the best audio plugin there is in terms of compatibility with games.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
the most accurate audio solution is generally PJ64's RSP, or something based off it... and when using that, audio plugin selection makes no difference to emulation accuracy.. i think when you're saying most accurate you really mean looks/sounds best though, which is complicated.

Clements

Azimer's audio has advantages over Jabo's. One of them is much better sound sync. For example, in Turok - Dinosaur Hunter, you cannot sync with Jabo's as the screen goes black. With Azimer's, it syncs perfectly @60fps in PJ64. There are a few other games too where you can't use the sync option (sometimes it caps the fps as with Ridge Racer 64) - hence why it is not enabled by default.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah 1.7 beta has azimers timing method implemented in the core, where it should be, not this rubbish with plugins stalling the core, that i've never been happy with.
so we have jabo's sounding fine on Turok, etc.

OP

Smiff said:
i think when you're saying most accurate you really mean looks/sounds best though, which is complicated.

What I mean is which are closest to the real N64. Thats really all that counts in the end. ;)

As for Turok, well...there is a PC version :whistling Although the mouselook tends to react as if it were a joystick...so its no easier to move than the n64 version.