What's new

Monitor problem

madfredtk

Proud Frenchman
I was on the computer wenn, suddendly the screen became purple : it is like a purple filter. The computer is ok and work. It's just that annoying purple filter. So, is my monitor broken ? (I think so since it's 5 years old).

Eagle

aka Alshain
Could be the green channel, but thats unlikely. The whole tube would probably die before only one color channel would. I have seen discolored monitors but that is usually the effect of the tube going bad, not just one channel. Before you scrap it, try degaussing. It could have gotten a magnetic shock. If it doesnt have a degause function it the menu, then you'll need a VHS tape eraser to do it.

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
there should be a picture of a magnet or something of that sort in your monitors menu. sellect that. it will make the screen wobble a little and you will hear a sound like a shock but this is normal. when the screen clicks back to normal the purple haze should gone. if it's not then its time to get a new one or find some new help.

Eagle

aka Alshain
The VHS tape eraser is used to degause old monitors that didnt come with a built in degauser.

Eagle

aka Alshain
That U is supposed to be a magnet, the line is the NO symbol. Basically what degausing does is demagnify the screen. You see, manets are harmfull to TVs and Monitors. Just get one near it and you will see what I mean. While one instance of contact with a magnet wouldnt cause damage, prolonged contact will. Most often a monitor is damaged by a magnet when you use un-shielded speakers and set them right next to the monitor. Newer monitors come with the degause built in so the damage can be undone but it still isnt a good idea to leave a magnet near by for too long.

EDIT: Thats not the only way, I know someone who had his VCR hooked through a TVCap card and set the monitor on top of the VCR. Luckily he had a degaus option.

Trotterwatch

I believe that the monitor auto-deguasses itself whenever it is turned on (a 5 yr old monitor should do this I would think).

It sounds a stupid question, but have you tried removing the cable going to the graphics card and the monitor, and putting it back in? One of the connectors going to the green input could have gone funny.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
check your monitor cable on both ends, the green channel anode/ground wire probably got corroded or bent, that can happen, relatively easy to fix too. I highly doubt this is a CRT issue.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Ive never seen a pin get bent and it still allow you to plug it in though. Corroded maybe... but if it were bent, it would prevent you from plugging it in.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Eagle said:
Ive never seen a pin get bent and it still allow you to plug it in though. Corroded maybe... but if it were bent, it would prevent you from plugging it in.

Actualy most of the time it wouldn't, because those pins are usualy pretty frail, and usualy when you get a bent pin like that, you can just plug the thing in without even noticing that one of the pins is being bent down into the socket.

Slougi

Yes I have seen lotsa bent pins. I had a friend who broke off 2 pins in the monitor cable but it sill worked like a charm :p

I also have had two monitors go "green", ie all other color channels were missing. In both cases it was a faulty cable.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Bad monitor cable connection

You *must make sure the pins of your monitor connector is clean
and straight.

I seen blue colour tinges because of a monitor cable in the past.
I too have seen purple colouring on the four corners, apperently
because of the cable connection, because some days later, I
saw the monitor looking fine.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Re: Bad monitor cable connection

RJA said:
You *must make sure the pins of your monitor connector is clean
and straight.

I seen blue colour tinges because of a monitor cable in the past.
I too have seen purple colouring on the four corners, apperently
because of the cable connection, because some days later, I
saw the monitor looking fine.

That purple corners was probably definately because it had a magnet near the corners. Thats exactly what happens when you get a magnet too close. The monitor probably corrected itself so it dissapeared.

Reznor007

Eagle said:
Could be the green channel, but thats unlikely. The whole tube would probably die before only one color channel would. I have seen discolored monitors but that is usually the effect of the tube going bad, not just one channel. Before you scrap it, try degaussing. It could have gotten a magnetic shock. If it doesnt have a degause function it the menu, then you'll need a VHS tape eraser to do it.

No, it's actually far more common for 1 or 2 color channels to die than the full CRT dying. Capacitors that run certain channels wear out and cause discolorations. You can replace the bad capacitors, and the monitor will look almost brand new. This is an extremely common thing for arcade operators(computer monitors work in essentially the same way). I've fixed plenty of monitors with this problem in a matter of an hour or so.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Really? Ive never heard of that. When I worked for a local PC repair store we always had people that came and gave us a dead monitor, usually it was the copper yoke that corroded or magnets and padding on the yoke that had carbonized and damaged the copper. There was nothing we could do for it that would be cheaper than buying a new one as they were usually out of date and getting a new yoke for it would be expensive. We never really had 1 color channel go out on a monitor that I can remember. Of course that could be because people may have never brought those in because they didnt notice it as much as they noticed when it wouldnt turn on at all, but anyway...

Reznor007

Yeah, when it's a problem with the yoke, it's best just to dump it and get a new one. But if you only get discolorations only, it's probably bad caps. Check a local arcade for bad monitors the next time you go(if you do go that is) and you'll probably come across at least one that needs a cap kit. It's a pretty cheap fix too.