What's new

Modem problem

Vchat20

ok. I just installed my cousin's modem in my computer today to test it (cuz it wouldnt connect on her computer). so I have 2 in here. I connected with both, and both connected fine. my modem worked the same as it usually does, but my cousin's modem doesnt shut off the speaker when it is done connecting. anyone know why?

I would like to know cuz apparently her modem connects at a faster speed. hers connectes at 44K and mine connects at 33.7K. Since she doesnt know alot about computers, I was gonna convince her to trade modem's, but I need to get the speaker problem fixed first. any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, here are the modem names:

mine
----
Name: 56K Interent-Fax
Manufacturer: LT

cousin's
----
Name: Conexant Soft56K PCI Modem(M)
Manifacturer: Conexant

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Are you sure that it actually connects correctly? I mean, using that modem, are you connected to internet even though it keeps sounding?

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

yeah. I was able to check my email and everything.

The only speaker settings in the modem properties are on or off. no 1, 2, 3, or 4. just "on" or "off". I would remove the speaker from the modem, but dont wanna risk breaking it considering the speaker is soldered to the modem.

Doomulation

I suppose it's an error with the modem itself as it does this on both computers, right? But the other modem is fine on both computers.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

here is a detailed explanation of the situation

cousin's PC
-----
didnt try my modem.
her modem shut off the speaker after connecting like it should

my computer
----
my modem works fine
her modem works fine except the speaker doesnt shut off like it should.

Nemo

Master Sporksman
BUM...

Solution: Let her keep her modem and buy yourself a better one... sheesh, taking stuff from people who don't know better.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

Hey, I said I was gonna trade, not take. besides, all she does on the net is chat with friends and chek email and that is about it, so what would she need a fast connection for?

Besides, I tryed the above link, none of the strings worked and I think I know why. I opened up Hyper Terminal and it said Error when I ran the initialization string. I tryed updating the drivers but windows gave a weird error while booting. It said while in DOs mode: "Error updating the file: " luckily it started right back up.

Anyhow, if I do get a new modem, Im gonna get a voice modem so I can use this thing as a telephone/answering machine. Neither mine nor her's are voice capable.

cooliscoo

EmuTalk Member
Why do you keep trying to achieve better results on a modem? Sheesh, spend some money and get off that crap, the difference between 33.7k and 44k isn't noticable, especially sincer hers is a software POS which will eat your cpu cycles up.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

I have probably said this lots of times before here, but:
I DONT HAVE THE MONEY!!!

I lucked out, my mom is paying for the connection we have now (which is $10 a month). But what she isnt gonna pay is the $40 a month for broadband, cuz it is "too expensive".

Doomulation

I agree :(
It's quite expensive...the reason why i don't have a broad connection.
Well, one of them at least.

jegHegy

i had the same type of Conexant once, and it did the exact same thing. quite irritating, i must say ^^; i just took it back to the store, they've tried it out, and gave me another model instead. simple as that ^^

nyaa

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Vchat20 said:
I have probably said this lots of times before here, but:
I DONT HAVE THE MONEY!!!

I lucked out, my mom is paying for the connection we have now (which is $10 a month). But what she isnt gonna pay is the $40 a month for broadband, cuz it is "too expensive".

So how much more is $40 over what your paying for both the ISP fee and the second line?

Just replace that modem with a cheap ethernet adapter and a cable modem.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

Not that easy. for one, we only have 1 phone line. cant afford to pay for a 2nd one. also, we would need to pay our old cable bill off first before getting broadband. same deal with DSL, would have to pay off old phone bill. Which both bills are somewhere around $350 total.

Maybe once my mom get's her income tax refund, she can get it, but Im not getting my hopes up.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

oh. one thing. does anyone know where I can find drivers for this one modem? here is all the info I know about it:

Conexant (Rockwell) Software Data/Fax/Voice Modem.

got it from a computer show today. seems to be fine, but it didnt come with drivers so I cant get it to work. any ideas? I would greatly appreciate this.

P.S. I am keeping my old modem for net access, but the new one will be used strictly as a phone/answering machine and maybe fax. but defintitely not net access!

Doomulation

They are usually obtained from their homepages. I suppose Conexant is the company name of this modem. Try to find their homepage and you'll surely find drivers for it.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

I managed to find the drivers for it and it is working perfectly. I also got a peice of Telephony Software called Megaphone 2000. only problem is when I answer the phone with it, I cant hear the callers over the speakers, just the modem speaker (which volume is very low). any ideas how to fix this?