What's new

Microsoft will let governments view Windows source code

Cyberman

Microsoft has taken an interesting tact .. my guess is the continuous pressure of open source software and OS's is taking a serious toll on them because of this article I found in Systems & Software in EETimes.

Comments welcome :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Oh I cant wait for them to find all the backdoors and such hidden in windows. Actually they probably will delete all that before they send it.

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
I heard they are only going to show them parts of the sourcode, so there will prolly be no backdoors.

And what are they ( whoever they are ) trying to ahive by viewing the source code ?

killthegene

One Kool dude
microsoft are aparently sharing 97% of their source with goverments who "respect intelectaul property rights" (is it sheer coincidence that moth of the goverments who dont "respect intellectaul property rights" are the ones that have already switched or are thinking of switching in the near future? ie. india). however this source will be allowed to be modified as long as the modifications are for security and for nothing else.

in my apionion its to little to late for microsoft putting the world govs back on the windows root. hooray

ps. another side effect: chance of code being leeked will multiply. expect allot more windows exploits and if the developers at wine gettheir hands on the code then allot better windows emulation.

killthegene

One Kool dude
i doubt if a wine developer recieved the leaked source hed go showing it of as yes it would be illegal however secretly im sure some of them would love to have a look at that source.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
The wine developers don't work anonymously, theres no way that they couldn't get sued. If one of them even has a peep at the code and continues development, thats grounds for microsoft suing codeweavers into oblivion.

killthegene

One Kool dude
ahhh but if the wine developer doesnt tell the world he has a copy of the source then everythings hunky dory