What's new

Microsoft eyeing Nintendo?

smegforbrain

Microsoft eyeing Nintendo: report
Wed Aug 4,10:07 AM ET

BERLIN (AFP) - US software giant Microsoft is interested in buying Japanese video games group Nintendo (news - web sites), German magazine Wirtschaftswoche reported.

Microsoft co-founder and chairman Bill Gates (news - web sites) told the weekly on the sidelines of a conference with analysts in the United States that he would immediately make an offer if Nintendo's majority shareholder, billionaire Hiroshi Yamauchi, were ready to sell.

smcd

If this happens, I guess it means we get to look forward to less innovation, more restrictions, and higher prices?

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Great. Built in windows shit for the bios of nintendo stuff. Get ready for crashes, incompatabilities and most of all, less good games. *sigh*
- Modem

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
The same way that there are crashes, incompatibilities and less good games on the XBox?
[/sarcasm]

aprentice

DuDe said:
The same way that there are crashes, incompatibilities and less good games on the XBox?
[/sarcasm]

no competition = microsoft sets whatever price they want, do you want that? :p

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I don't think that BigN will sell...
Please don't do it!
I want the innovations, the games, the great fun... and all I want to get wthout crashes... :(

foogy

its well known that there can only be 2 competitors in the console world... look at atari and sega for large examples... its bound to happen sometime and i dont care too much if it does. because since the snes ive seen less and less "innovative" games from N'. dont get me wrong i love nintendo, but they seem to be loosing their steam. its sad, but it happens. how do you think the atari fan-boys fealt? or sega's?

you always have to look on the bright side of things. maybe since N' is a senior member of the business M$ will give them some "say" in things. however, it could be more like sega-sammy and force Nintendo to focus more in certain areas.

Gorxon

Administrator
And still people forget that even though Nintendo is 3rd in many people's minds (but actually was 2nd worldwide at the time E3 launched if I recall correctly), they make shitloads of money even though they don't sell as many consoles as Sony. They might not make as much, but they're doing ok. 2 years ago or so they made more money than SCE, but as things changes fast I dunno how the situation is today.

Feel free to correct me

Quvack

M$ has been after Nintendo for ages now, at least I remember reading an article a long time ago about M$ making an offer to Nintendo for buy-out. It's be a shame to see it happen, but sadly thats how business is sometimes :( Hopefully it doesnt though, i wanna see at least a few more Nintendo consoles :p

mezkal

Man on a mission
If MS are eyeing Nintendo, then the Big N aren't making the money they should be. SEGA also had a similar history to Nintendo in recent years, Sonic was licensed to toy manufacturers and television shows. SEGA bought the bullet. I fear that Nintendo may follow suit. Certainly much of thier rhetoric of late and the industry news seems to exemplify this.

OP
smegforbrain

smegforbrain

Well, the only way MS will ever succeed in Japan is through Nintendo or Sony. I'd almost be willing to get on that.

As it is, I'm frustrated with the Big N's lack of innovation in terms of games (and they're still too slow to open up to 3rd party companies), but I wouldn't want them owned by MS either.

Knuckles

anyway, if that happens, it's the end of consoles video games :p .... and goes down the emulation too..... arg

Last edited:

sheik124

Emutalk Member
lmao
14 - Posted on Aug 5, 2004 at 3:08 PM by MoonSword Reply
#7: You're correct. German joke or not, Yamauchi-sama is the majority shareholder of Nintendo, and he is a very proud (and arrogant) Japanese businessman. The earth will blow up in an apocalyptic asteroid induced inferno before he sells any of his stock to an American company.

Trotterwatch

I'll give everyone here a big clue ;)

Nintendo are not a charity - they are a company, a company who have in the past been convicted of the same types of schemes and scams that BIG BAD MICRO$OFT has (OMFG I used a comedic dollar sign.. w00t).

Microsoft taking over Nintendo won't change jack shit, they'll still pump out the same games - just now you'll be playing them on teh Xbox. Sony Vs Microsoft will keep prices at a reasonable level.

Anyone care to fill me in on how Nintendo are some mythical company seemingly exempt from criticsm whereas Microshaft (lol, another witty moniker) are constantly villified?

Last edited:

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Trotterwatch said:
Microsoft taking over Nintendo won't change jack shit, they'll still pump out the same games - just now you'll be playing them on teh Xbox. Sony Vs Microsoft will keep prices at a reasonable level.

hmm... soon or later, one of them have to disappear, there is no futur for a triumvirat, what's happened with intel/amd/cyrix is a good example...

but if you think it will not change anything you're wrong, M$ has based his strategy to hardware performance, and nintendo has based his strategy to price/innovation... these strategy are imcompatible...

and "same games" are games developped on both console, but it's not the case for ALL games... i'm not sure that zelda, mario, donkey kong, etc... will survive with M$

M$ just want to BUY a rival, to be sure to stay in the race... it's a shame, it's to the people/customers to decide that... not M$...