What's new

Merging two SaveStates?

Hosma293

Beta Quest Freak
Hiya Peoples,

I wanted to know if anyone knows how to merge two PJ64 savestates together. I know it sounds crazy but I want to do it so I can have two areas loaded at once in zelda oot.
Please don't reply with "Oh thats crazy, It'll never work." or "Thats crazy, why would you want to do that?"
Like I said, I want to have to areas loaded at the same time and comments like that are just not helpful.

Thanks,
Hosma293

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
What do you mean you want to load 2 areas at once? Like have them both in memory, or combine them to make a new level or something? Loading them both in memory is easy if you know where they are and can find some unused space, but the game won't do much with them. Merging them together is pretty much impossible.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
That wouldn't really work. A savestate is a complete snapshot of everything in the emulation, so trying to combine them would only overwrite the other. Unless you know what you need to overwrite, but that's a little farfetched.

OP
Hosma293

Hosma293

Beta Quest Freak
Ok, say I was in beta quest, and I wanted to crawl through a hole to get to another part of the level, but the other part won't load when you crawl through the hole. Say also, that I managed to load the other part of the level by using different procedures but can't crawl through the hole to the previous part of the level. I save both the level parts as save states, and to access both areas I have to merge the two SSs together. Get what I mean?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
As was written before, it is technically impossible to do that, since savestates are a snapshot of emulation. All the memory, registers and more is saved in these things, making it impossible to merge them. If you were simply to merge a part, there might be weird errors in a place, fatal errors, etc.
You'll have to know how the game does it and hack the states to accomplish that.

OP
Hosma293

Hosma293

Beta Quest Freak
Doomulation said:
You'll have to know how the game does it and hack the states to accomplish that.
Oh great, I'm no good at hacking so I think I'll rule this out. Just thought I'd ask since I have a vague memory of someone saying something about merging SSs.
I was thinking only the models and collision data but yeah, out of my league for awhile until I learn to hack properly.
Thanks for your Help :)