What's new

Master Quest going a tad slow.

Cukeman

I have a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Master Quest) (a European N64 ROM, not ripped from the GameCube disc)...it's great but it runs a tad slow. Certainly tolerable, but since I have a high-end PC, and my other N64 Zelda games run just fine...it's kinda getting on my nerves. I even turned off the Advanced Block Linking and rebooted the ROM (both warm and cold) like the FAQ said and it's still running slow.

Is it cuz it's a PAL ROM? Is there a setting or something I need to change for it to work? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
PAL games are set to run at 50 VL/S for PAL TV's, NTSC games run at 60 VL/S for NTSC TV's.Personally, I never notice the difference in speeds.

I'm pretty sure there's a setting in 1964 to change the VL/S but i'm unsure if there's maybe/going to be a setting in PJ64 1.7 that can change this.

I'm still boggled as to how they managed to dump a GCN ISO and convert it to v64 format. I wonder if it's possible to convert other GCN ISO's to V64/Z64 format and have it play properly.

OP
Cukeman

Cukeman

What confuses me is whether or not this is in fact ripped from the GameCube. The reason why is that it shows C-Buttons in the corner of the screen, instead of X, Y, and Z. But the B-Button is red and the A-button is green like on a GameCube, so I don't know.

X-Fi6

The reason why the game is like this is because Nintendo used the NTSC version of Ura Zelda (the ORIGINAL Master Quest game waaaaaaaay a long time ago, never released) and when they updated it they saved it in PAL format for some reason (maybe by accident). When they used their emulator on the GameCube it played it as an NTSC game anyways and just ignored it, but because PJ64 follows its guidelines correctly, it plays this NTSC game as a PAL game.

As Samurai Snack said, PAL games run at 50VL/S and NTSC games run at 60VL/S, so basically PJ64 is running this game slower than its supposed to.

People have hacked the ROM and changed its header as NTSC for emulators to play the game correctly, and so the only way to play Master Quest is to find a ROM that says:

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [F1] (NTSC).z64

However, you must find this ROM on your own.

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
Weird thing is, I was dumb enough to try and play a .GCM file on PJ64 :p .

The buttons are supposed to be C buttons even in the GCN version. They are only X,Y,Z buttons in Wind Waker.

B=Green, A=Blue on N64
B=Red, A=Green on GCN

Btw: I didn't know you were a member of Emutalk X-fi6(I refuse to call you by "ex eff eye six").

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
The reason why the game is like this is because Nintendo used the NTSC version of Ura Zelda (the ORIGINAL Master Quest game waaaaaaaay a long time ago, never released) and when they updated it they saved it in PAL format for some reason (maybe by accident). When they used their emulator on the GameCube it played it as an NTSC game anyways and just ignored it, but because PJ64 follows its guidelines correctly, it plays this NTSC game as a PAL game.

As Samurai Snack said, PAL games run at 50VL/S and NTSC games run at 60VL/S, so basically PJ64 is running this game slower than its supposed to.

People have hacked the ROM and changed its header as NTSC for emulators to play the game correctly, and so the only way to play Master Quest is to find a ROM that says:

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [F1] (NTSC).z64

However, you must find this ROM on your own.

he'd be better off searching for

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (E) [h1c].z64 or .v64

its romhacked to ntsc as well as having the internal header changed to [master quest]

actually.. i have a feeling that won't be found anywhere.....

Last edited:

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Or he could edit the ROM himself. Grab a hex editor like frhed and dive into the ROM. There should be a string of four letters, something like NZLP. Change the P to an E and it will play like an NTSC ROM.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
while that may work for advanced users (i used a rompatch myself)

he'd be best off just getting if from somewhere.. *cough*that rom version should appear on some places soon*cough*

OP
Cukeman

Cukeman

while that may work for advanced users (i used a rompatch myself)

he'd be best off just getting if from somewhere.. *cough*that rom version should appear on some places soon*cough*

Hey hey...don't underestimate me yet, my question might've been dumb, but just because I don't know why a ROM isn't running fast doesn't mean I know nothing about programming. I've done some hex editing in the past, I understand the basic concept of it. Something as small as changing a few settings I can probably "hack"...*pun intended*:(

BTW: Do you think XVI32 would work? That's my hex editor of choice.

Allnatural

There is a US version of Master Quest as of GoodN64 v3.11, so there's no reason to be patching roms or downloading patched roms anymore.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
XVI32 will work fine. While you are there, you could also change the ROM name in the header to ZELDA MASTER QUEST (it needs a trailing space to be the right length IIRC). This would allow you to keep your MQ saves separate from normal OoT saves. You would have to rename your save file to keep your saves though. I provided this solution because it requires little downloading and is completely legal, although I guess most people at EmuTalk would probably find it easier to simply download the hacked ROM.

OP
Cukeman

Cukeman

I already used the hex editor. Took me 2 seconds and it was more fun. Actually a tad disappointed, I kinda wanted to do more. This makes me wanna get back into hex editing, I just don't know where to go to learn more about it or what to do with that knowledge anyway.

Thanks again.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
AFAIK, there are only a couple things you can do with hex editing. Rom hacking, making cracks for games, and fixing horribly broken games (MGS2 PC version, don't ask). Otherwise it's pretty useless.