What's new

Mario Kart 64 sound issues

White_Pointer

Well, when I was playing Mario Kart 64, I noticed that while you were playing the game (or while the demo was playing) the game tends to have a lot of trouble with the sound, especially in parts where there tends to be a lot of graphic activity going on. The music in particular jumps and crackles to the point where you need to actually turn it off by hitting the L button because all you are hearing is crackles. I have tried a variety of Audio plugins, playing around with buffer lengths and that type of things, and tried a few different video plugins as well, to no avail.

Is there any way I can fix this? This is the only game that has the crackling this bad. (Other games like Zelda have slight crackling, but it's nothing major.)

Pentium 3 800
GeForce 2 MX
192 MB Ram
Sound Blaster Live!

White_Pointer

Remote

Project 64 has a noticeble delay before the start of the race, selecting menu items and other situations, eventhough the delay is hardly noticble on a fast computer it will still affect sound, if you are not getting a constant 50 / 60 FPS audio will not be optimal. Try lowering your graphics resolution and turning synch audio off / on, and if you are using Azimer's HLE audio plugin increase buffer size. If that does not do the trick, try 1964 it should not have this slowdown.

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
Remote said:
Project 64 has a noticeble delay before the start of the race, selecting menu items and other situations, eventhough the delay is hardly noticble on a fast computer it will still affect sound, if you are not getting a constant 50 / 60 FPS audio will not be optimal. Try lowering your graphics resolution and turning synch audio off / on, and if you are using Azimer's HLE audio plugin increase buffer size. If that does not do the trick, try 1964 it should not have this slowdown.

also check if the rom is good with goodn64, it's always better to be on the safe side.

OP
White_Pointer

White_Pointer

Smiff said:
A faster PC and turning off ABL should help.

I don't see why I need a faster PC just to run Mario Kart 64. It is plenty fast enough to run all other games. Like I said, this is the only game I have sound problems with.

White_Pointer

McBain

Mario Kart 64 definately has a sound issue with PJ64. I have never gotten it to play sound just right on my athlon 1200. It stays at a solid 60 fps but still skips. No big deal though, as other emulators play it perfectly without tinkering.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
McBain said:
Mario Kart 64 definately has a sound issue with PJ64. I have never gotten it to play sound just right on my athlon 1200. It stays at a solid 60 fps but still skips. No big deal though, as other emulators play it perfectly without tinkering.

could you be a bit specific about what the problem is?

McBain

Just general skips, it stays almost dead on at 60fps but the sound still randomly skips. I have a SB Live! value, GF2, and Athlon 1200. I'll try changing the audio sync setting as recommended and see if that helps.

McBain

Well it must have been the sync audio option (thanks Remote) that combined perhaps with my new SB Live! drivers seems to produce perfect sound.

Give that a try if you haven't White_Pointer, it worked great for me.

RJA

The PC Wiz
READ if you have a Sound Blaster Live

Please go to Creative Labs' web site. There is a reported known
issue that Sound Blaster Lives have problems with crackling audio.
Updating the drivers could resolve the audio crackling issue.Creative Technology web site